Advice please regarding pinworms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivy

Reaction score
I got my new baby rabbit toffee last week she is now 9 weeks old yesterday I found worms in her poop I got toffee from a local well know mini lop breaded I have to other bun Ivy and Bailey who where panacur in July this year and have xeno 450 monthly they have not come in contacted with toffee yet as she is inside until spring when spayed I question is the breaded told me she had had pabacur 9 day course and a pea sized amount of xeno 450 pea sized due to size and age ! But What I don't get is she sells each bun for £30 if she panacur each one that's at least £8 and the xeno plus food and bedding for the 8 weeks she would not make any money so makes me think of she had had panacur !! I contacted the breaded and said she needs to contacted the rest of the letters owners and panacur the mother the vet said its not good at all and her tummy was full of them poor thing DO I REPORT HER ?? Iv had to risk and re panacur her again even tho the breaded says she only hade it a week ago !

I'm not sure regarding the reporting, pretty much any animal can get worms, treated or not. Most breeders and certainly probably all rabbit breeders don't make any money off of their animals. People do it because they enjoy it, not because it makes them money.

It's the fact I was lied to if she would of had panacur she should not have the worms ! Or is there a chance it did not work ? The vet said its a risk to give her a second dose in the same month but I can't leave her full of worms !!

And she breads them for a job it's her full time occupation!

The panacur should've worked, IF she treated them as she said. It's also possible that she didn't take the additional steps to make sure the rabbits didn't get re-infested. Pinworms aren't generally a health risk to rabbits unless the worm load is overwhelming, and then they would be losing weight.

Or is there a chance it did not work ? The vet said its a risk to give her a second dose in the same month but I can't leave her full of worms !!
I know for a fact, it's very hard to 100% get rid of pinworms. Very hard. Medication kills the worms and eggs in the intestines, but if the rabbit has already ingested eggs (or worms) when the medication is given, the new cycle of worms has already started and wont be killed off. Pinworms are so easy to get. Passalurus ambiguous is the rabbit form of pinworms. (Cats and dogs can not get them, but humans and horses can. But just other types.)
All you can do, is wait to give the rabbit the next dose of medication. Try keeping her cage very clean in the meantime. Pinworms are not dangerous in any way, so don't worry. And it's not the breeders fault, I've had animals (and human relatives...) and have taken all the precautions to get rid of the pinworms, and had them reoccur.

It's really unpleasant when you see the worms, I sympathise with you. My Grace had worms last year and I saw them wriggling about on her behind. I phoned the vet who insisted that although it looked like worms they needed to see her to rule out fly strike! I panicked then and rushed her up as fast as my car would carry us and a vet was actually waiting in reception for my arrival. It was very impressive and I won't take my buns anywhere else!

It was worms though and was quick and easy I found to get rid of although after just one days worth of the Pancur her litter box was full of dead worms. It wasn't nice, be prepared as it's pretty horrid. She must have been full of them as well but unless I had seen them on her that day I wouldn't have had any idea, she showed no other signs and I hadn't had her long either. Within 3 days there were no more worms coming out so 9 days worth of Pancur is plenty even in a bad case.

Anyway, just wanted to reassure you that she will be fine but do be extra careful with hand washing, etc as I believe you can catch them.

Back