Bunnies fighting help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKDobster

Reaction score
We got our boy bunnies a week ago. We got them together because in the pet store they lived together and we were told they wanted them to go together. We adore both of them and they have settled in super quickly with us in their forever home. However today I noticed clumps of hair that have come out because the tinker bunny has been fighting with the timid one. We put the tinker on a time out away from Dobby (the timid one) and when back together he went for him again. What's happened? What do we do? And how can we gently tell off our naughty rabbit?

How old are your boys? Rabbits come into maturity earlier than most would think. What you have is most likely a baby bond. Those are questionable and don't always work out, especially if your buns aren't neutered. It sounds like the hormones have rolled in and now the fight is on for dominance. Did the pet store mention to you anything about getting them neutered? Most likely you won't be able to keep two un-neutered bucks together.

Bonded rabbits (truly bonded rabbits) should never be separated from each other since doing so can break the bond. But if the two are fighting, then they probably aren't bonded. As Channah's said, baby bonds aren't true bonds and often result in fighting once those hormones kick in.

I agree that those hormones have kicked in and, in that case, they should be separated. They each need their own cage. If you want them to eventually bond, then you definitely don't want their aggression to escalate by having access to each other.

If you know their ages, then you can figure out when to schedule them in for a neuter. Most vets will neuter around 4+ months of age. Once they are both neutered and had 4-8 weeks to heal (still being housed separately), then you can attempt to bond them. It may take some work since male/male bonds are considered a bit more difficult. If clumps of fur are already flying then these two won't stand a chance of bonding without first being neutered.

It gets my goat that pet stores don't know or don't tell new owners to expect this. We hear the same story over and over again just like yours. People get two young buns that seem inseparable and suddenly begin fighting with the onset of hormones. I wish pet stores would explain this to people. I'm sorry they did not tell you and now you are stuck with the consequences.

I'm afraid you have to separate them for now since rabbit fights can be very serious and result in injury or death. There will be no benefit to try to put them together again until they are both fixed and have had the added time for the hormones to dissipate post surgery.

Sounds like your bunnies have reached puberty. They should be separated until they are both neutered, like Channahs said all baby bunnies get along but when they hit puberty non-neutered bunnies will fight if kept together. 6 weeks after getting neutered, you can bond them for real.

You can't trust pet store advice too much, all they want is to make money from you. I'd take them to a vet to make sure they both really are boys, get a general health check and talk over your neutering options.

Oh gosh :( thank you for all your messages. So do we need to get the naughty one done or both? I'm so annoyed with the pet store I want to call them!! Do you think the bunnies will become friends again? This morning when I fed them, I fed them together like normal and they were fine. I'm just keeping a watchful eye on them now. The pet store said the bunnies are 3 months old...but I don't know if I trust anything they say...

3 months sounds about right for puberty to hit, they can be neutered in a month's time when they get big enough (so feed them up!). Both bunnies need to be neutered to be bonded as adults. For now, you need to separate the bunnies with a cage divider as soon as you can. If they keep fighting they will develop negative associations towards each other - bunnies can hold grudges for a very long time, and then they may never bond.

Is it worth just getting the naughty one neutered? Will they bond afterwards? I really don't wanna take the tinker back but we don't know what to do :(

The same thing happened to my boys. They were littermates and got along when they were young. When the fighting started, I just got separate cages for them and they were never neutered. I wish they had been neutered because then they could have shared turnout for the rest of their lives (assuming they bonded). One of my bunnies even broke off his front incisor by aggressively rattling his cage bars while his brother was enjoying turnout. Also I have heard that it's better to neuter them while they are young and that after a certain age it is not really advisable.

I'm afraid you'll have to neuter them both if you have any hopes of bonding them.

Do you think we should take the naughty back to the pet shop? I'm worried after neutering they still won't bond. We only got them both because the pet shop said they wanted them to go together :(

The one you are calling "naughty" isn't really. He is only hormonal. The other one may very well behave in the same "naughty" way in the next few weeks.

It is still your choice to return one of them if you choose. But if you keep one and think that you may ever want to get him a bondmate sometime in the future, he will need to be neutered first. Hormonal signs can increase as the next weeks and couple months pass. Possible other hormonal signs can include growling, lunging, biting, spraying of urine. Either rabbit may exhibit any of those behaviors.

If you decide to keep both and bond them, then they should be separated beginning now and then both need to be neutered.

Hello, it's my first post here and I have a similar problem that's really starting to get worrying.

Both my rabbits have been fixed, but the resident male was only fixed about 5 weeks ago. He recently lost his much-loved girlfriend who he bonded with immediately. Three days after she died (too soon?) I bought home a rescue girl to keep him company. He won't stop attacking her, and it's particularly problematic because when we got her she'd been really badly shorn (she's angora) and had nicks on her skin from the shaving. Her fur is so short, like suede, that when he bites her he could draw blood.

I'm wondering if the problem might be that she looks sick (the shorn fur) and possibly even is sick. I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow as she has very small poos and her belly feels distended. Perhaps he's trying to get rid of a sick rabbit?

ARGH! It's only day two, so perhaps I'm getting disheartened too quick, but the poor girl is terrified. I sit next to her when they are in the same room and we only do it in stints.

Thanks for your help,

Jenny

@Jenny V
It can take up to 8 weeks for a newly neutered male's hormones to fully dissipate. I would suggest stopping all attempts at bonding for now.

How long have you had the girl? If she is going to the vet, then even if they were bonding well, she will return smelling differently and that could throw off any recognition of her by the male.

I would just wait the full 8 weeks before resuming bonding attempts. Forcing it too soon could cause them to never bond. There is no disadvantage to waiting.

Have you also done a lot of reading on how to bond? -knowing what body postures to look out for, etc?

Hi Blue Eyes, really appreciate the help.

The female has only been here five days and would smell of the shelter/vet. That's very interesting to hear that the male could take eight weeks for his hormones to dissipate - and in fact I went to the vet since posting and they said the same thing.

I have made up an entirely separate room for the girl and they are having very short sessions in the same room. He still acts normal and relaxed, then suddenly chases her, but I will largely keep them apart for another month while her fur grows back and his hormones calm down.

Body postures: She alternates between ears forward and a bit cocky, and lying flat with ears flat. He acts 'normal', then lunges.

Jenny

Oh, he's also doing lots of binkies and then flopping down on his side, looking pretty satisfied. And digging in the sofa.

Last edited:
If you truely do not want to spend the money to neuter them then your option is to return one back or separate cages. Tbh, you will probably have to fix your rabbit anyway because male rabbits will spray, chase, hump, ect. no matter how they are acting now. A sexually frustrated rabbit is not a happy one! What you could do is keep one, eventually get him fixed and later on look for him a fixed female. tbh I wouldn't return either to the store because most don't care about the rabbits welfare and will put him back with the others, which may cause him to hurt other buns or who even knows. Sorry about your bonding problem. Same sex bonds are pretty hard and almost impossible without a fix. Good luck!

I have two female Lionhead bunnies. I have had them for about 4 months now and they are bonded. They came that way which is what I wanted. They are always cuddling, cleaning eachother, exploring together, etc. Well I have noticed clumps of Lolah Jean's hair on the floor and I took them both to the vet about two months ago which the vet told me they are two of the most healthy, docile bunnies he has ever met. Well I have been extremely worried about the loss of Lolah's main hair and today me and my boyfriend were laying at one end of the couch and Lolah Jean and Luna Belle were laying at the other end when all of the sudden after I got done grooming and brushing the both of them they both get into a humping/ dominating/ fighting match. We separated them and put Luna Belle on the floor and kept Lolah on the couch with us for about an hour and I put Lolah on the floor and immediately charged eachother and started fighting again so I just separated them again putting a Lolah in my bedroom and Lolah out in the living room with us. I'm so worried about them especially keeping them separated because I had two bonded lionheads before these two and Hunny got sick and died from eating something she shouldn't have and two days later Dudley passed from depression and seperation. Please help me and give advice I'm at a loss and I cannot bear to lose another bunny. My bunnies are my everything and it will kill me to lose them again:(((

Back