Just Wondering: foods that rabbits can eat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madisonl702

Reaction score
I was just wondering what rabbits can eat. Pumpkins seeds? What is healthy for them to eat? And what for young rabbits?

Rabbits under 6 months should not have any greens or veggies can give them tummy ache ! They should fresh hay at all times and s small amount of pellets not Muesli mix !!! And fresh water every day 🐰

Thanks!! I knew that young rabbits shouldn't have grass or treats but I didn't know hay. Thanks again!!

Has he/she not had any hay ? I would buy some ASAP it's really good for them 😃

The House Rabbit Society suggests that greens be slowly introduced beginning around 12 weeks of age. Some suggest waiting longer so as not to risk tummy upset. Each rabbit is different and some are more sensitive than others. If introductions of greens are made one type at a time and in small quantities, it should be fine to start at 12 weeks. You just monitor their poos to see if there is any change in size or consistency.

The following one page article gives a quick summary of what to feed and what to avoid:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

The general rule of thumb is no sudden changes of pellets or greens. If pellet brand needs to be switched, it needs to be done gradually. Greens are also introduced gradually. Hay should be a constant.

Yer that's fine I give mine meadow hay which is the same as horse hay I also give the Timothy hay I get that from pets at home are you in uk ?

That's fine I'm sure you can stuff empty toilet roll tubes with it leave some sticking out each end they love to pull and dig it out and it encourages them to eat it and it breaks boredom 😊

Mine love it keeps them busy for a while

Yeah, since you mentioned that, do you know of any good toys for a young rabbit that can't eat treats/veggies?

Yer they love to roll balls around any small ones mine love to pick them up with there mouth and Throw them in air just don't get rubber ones plastic is fine I'm have colourful small balls that have holes in I also stuff them with hay ! Empty toilet rolls tubes they like to roll them
Around ! You can also get edible balls made from straw ect healthy ones and it's important to get some rabbit safe wooden chews to keep teeth trim I also got a litter box and filled it with mud do they can have a dig they love that ! Plan Cardboard boxes not ones with ink or print on them just plan brown cut holes in it so he/she can go in and out ! 😃

Rabbit will also need its jabs as it's been in the wild I would say it's a must have for you also provide with its own space like an upside box with hold in it and some straw so he can go there to relax

What young rabbits can eat depends on what their parents were eating.

If they were not fed greens when they were with their mom you will want to proceed carefully. Feed only safe greens like parsley and cilantro at first and only a week bit. ANd only after they have been with you for at least a week.

IF they have been fed greens regularly while with their mom you should be just fine to have greens be a regular part of their diet...at first again, only safe greens like parsley or cilantro.

as your bunny matures you can give more or less greens as you desire. Be careful of the curciferous vegetables, they can cause some rabbits to bloat. I don't feed them since there are SO many options out there for feeding rabbits.

Carrot greens, parsley, dandelions, lettuces (particularly leaf lettuces), basil, oregano, various wild grasses/weeds (if you know what they are) plantain (the plant not the banana type thing), and such like. Strawberry hulls, raspberry and rose canes are good foods as well. Including apple and pear branches. DON"T do the branches of trees with nuts in them (aka peach or cherry)

Go very easy on things like apples, carrots, oranges, other fruits. Crackers, bread etc. Limited amounts.

Know that if you feed spinach and swiss chard they can turn the pee a reddish orange colour.

Pellets, hay are generally considered a good base for a diet.

Oatmeal, BOSS, wheat etc are also nice treats for rabbits.

Yer that's fine my toffe is in a dog cage but iv put a dark blanket over it but you may still want to put a all box in there so he can snuggle up they like small places

Latest posts

Back