Help rabbits teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahbean

Reaction score
My rabbits teeth are over growing and idk what to do I don't have the money to bring him to the vet. He's a lionhead

~ BO ~

If the teeth do not line up correctly, incisors quickly overgrow and can become unmanageable "tusks" which either snaggle up out of the mouth or curl back into the mouth, making eating nearly impossible. Although some veterinarians will be willing to regularly trim the teeth, this is stressful for the rabbit. Also, clipping the teeth rather than filing or grinding them down can be dangerous, since micro-fractures of the tooth from clipping can travel below the gumline, inviting bacterial infection that can ultimately be life-threatening.
Many rabbit expert vets believe that the best way to treat maloccluded incisors is to extract them. This is a surgical procedure that must be done very carefully and patiently by your rabbit-experienced veterinarian, to ensure complete, permanent removal. The rabbit will probably need to be on pain medication for a day or two after surgery, but once the patient has recovered, the only adjustment the rabbit "parent" needs to make is to cut up fresh food into bite-sized pieces, since the cutting teeth (incisors) will be gone. Pellets and hay can be handled as before, without problems.
Molar spurs can be filed smooth by your veterinarian, who may use anything from a Dremel tool to a blunt-tipped diamond file. The procedure ordinarily requires anesthesia (e.g., isoflurane or sevoflurane gas), but usually can be done relatively quickly.
If your bunny is showing any signs such as

Drooling
Runny eyes
Eagerly going to food, but then acting unwilling to actually take it into the mouth
Gradual (or sudden) change in dietary habits (e.g., refusing to eat pellets, but happy to eat hay--or the other way around!)
Unusual eating habits, such as a willingness to eat only one or two food items, and rejecting other types.
excessive drinking (this also can be a sign of renal disease, but rabbits with sore mouths will sometimes drink constantly in an attempt to soothe a sore mouth)
then it's time to get him/her to a veterinarian who is very familiar with rabbit dental disease. If your bunny does turn out to have dental problems, you'll be amazed at his relief once the teeth are properly filed and in the right shape. Make a dental check up a regular part of your bunny's well-bun exam!

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Clipping.htm

Do you not have insurance for your rabbit ???? If you can't afford vet bills to keep your rabbit heathy why did you get a rabbit ? Makes me mad so many post that people can't afford to take there poorly rabbit to the vet I understand if you don't have the money but get the rabbit insured it cost like 5 month !!!

Well he's very health I'm srry I'm only 16 and I only have one parent that works so we don't have that much money i love all of my pets

~ BO ~

Do you not have insurance for your rabbit ???? If you can't afford vet bills to keep your rabbit heathy why did you get a rabbit ? Makes me mad so many post that people can't afford to take there poorly rabbit to the vet I understand if you don't have the money but get the rabbit insured it cost like 5 month !!!

Your wording was a bit rude, IMO. You don't know what the OP's circumstances are.

Did not say he was not heathy he looks very heathy I'm just saying when buying a pet people need to aware that vet bills cost a lot all my pets are insured I have 3 rabbits and a dog and pay £40 a month for them all to be insured but it's worth it if there I'll I don't hesitate to go to the vet not being rude just giving advise maybe look into it one rabbit would not be a lot to insure and will give you peace of mind 😄 I'm not being rude

Oh and these are my buns ivy Bailey and tof tof (toffee) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1412279279.436124.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1412279295.671080.jpg

Did not say he was not heathy he looks very heathy I'm just saying when buying a pet people need to aware that vet bills cost a lot all my pets are insured I have 3 rabbits and a dog and pay £40 a month for them all to be insured but it's worth it if there I'll I don't hesitate to go to the vet not being rude just giving advise maybe look into it one rabbit would not be a lot to insure and will give you peace of mind �� I'm not being rude

Ok, I think you've made your point.

But you are presuming that rabbits can be insured here in the US the same as in the UK, and that is simply not the case. We don't have good pet insurance here for rabbits. And what is available isn't very good and doesn't really cover much. So most people here that have pet rabbits, do not have insurance. All vet costs have to be covered by the owner.

Hannahbean, what makes you believe your rabbit has dental issues? Is it the front incisors and you can see that they are overgrown? Has your rabbits eating abilities been affected at all?

Ok, I think you've made your point.

But you are presuming that rabbits can be insured here in the US the same as in the UK, and that is simply not the case. We don't have good pet insurance here for rabbits. And what is available isn't very good and doesn't really cover much. So most people here that have pet rabbits, do not have insurance. All vet costs have to be covered by the owner.

Hannahbean, what makes you believe your rabbit has dental issues? Is it the front incisors and you can see that they are overgrown? Has your rabbits eating abilities been affected at all?

His back teeth where growing in a u shape

~ BO ~

His back teeth where growing in a u shape

~ BO ~

Did you take him to a vet and the vet discovered this through a dental exam? These are the back molars that you are talking about, correct? Not the incisors that you see at the front of the rabbits mouth?

Has your rabbits eating habits changed at all? How did you figure out he had dental problems?

Did you take him to a vet and the vet discovered this through a dental exam? These are the back molars that you are talking about, correct? Not the incisors that you see at the front of the rabbits mouth?

Has your rabbits eating habits changed at all? How did you figure out he had dental problems?

It the front ones I founded out when he was crewing on my sweatshirt and he still eats the same

~ BO ~

Maybe you could call some vets and see how much a tooth clipping would cost and then do some baby sitting or chores to get a bit of money. I don't think it's a very expensive procedure at a lot of vets. At my work (and I know it's not the preferred method) we just clip them off. We use a tool like dog nail clippers and then use a metal file and file them smooth. I usually hold the rabbit and the Dr does the trimming, but she has shown me how to do it many times, I'm just too grossed out by cutting a tooth!!!! We do have a dremal and we use that on parrot beaks. I think a rabbit would freak out with that in their face. I've never done extractions or dental x rays on a rabbit yet, but maybe someday I will need to do that. In any event I think we charge $50 or $60 and we are a very expensive hospital. If I called the city I bet I could find it for like $20 or a breeder that could do it. The vet could probably teach you to do it yourself as well if you're interested.

Possibly a bit off topic but I have 4 rabbits, 2 of which have needed dentals so far, and it has involved anaesthetic both times (back teeth filing needed) and I looked at a few insurance providers but they always excluded dental work with rabbits and the excess was large in each case as well meaning you pay the first £60 or £70 of each claim anyway. I am in a position to pay any vets bill needed thankfully but just saying I did find rabbit insurance lacking.

I do hope your rabbit is ok.

Latest posts

Back