Spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyrabbit12345

Reaction score
My bun got spayed yesterday she is 4 months old and today she is not using the litter box for poops so unlike her. She is eating and drinking ok not a lot but she is eating hay and pellets just not like before but I know she just had surgery yesterday . I feel like her personality has changed not as friendly maybe I am being paranoid ???

I wouldn't be friendly either if I just had my insides sliced open and had parts ripped out. Give her some time to heal and feel better. As long as she is eating and drinking and their all making their way through the body and shes peeing and pooping okay.

Agree with Watermelons. It's much more invasive for a girl bunny than it is for a boy bunny. It's actually kind of painful too. Did you get any pain reliever for her like Metacam? The litter in her litter box may be hurting her incision. Maybe you can fold up some paper towels and put them in her litter box for now.

My vet( who is also the vet for the local human society rabbit rescue) said he does not give pain meds if the rabbit is eating and drinking he said he seen more buns die from Allergic reaction to pain meds and should be given only in last resort. He also owns 4 rabbits of his own , I'm very confused :( but my rabbit is eating and drinking and is going to the bathroom every where !! Lol I will try putting newspaper in litter box to see if that helps and hopefully her friendly personality comes back soon!!! I miss my buddy :( ❤️🐰

Without knowing what she got pre or post surgery but knowing she's on nothing now, I'm sure she's uncomfortable! I'm not familiar with any allergic reactions to pain meds in rabbits. The old school train of thought with animals was that it was good to keep them in pain so they wouldn't run too much and tear their sutures out but now we're more along the lines of stronger pain meds and confining them better.

If she's eating and drinking it's not urgent and I wouldn't risk giving her any over the counter human meds, but in the future I'd suggest pain meds. Generally the thought is unless we know for a fact it doesn't hurt animals, assume it hurts them just as much as it hurts people.

If she's just pooping everywhere but peeing in the box she may be trying to mark her territory since someone kidnapped her away from it.

We always give pain medications at my work, it's not an option. Your rabbit has nerves just like you do, imagine you had a major organ removed and no pain control? :(

Metacam/meloxicam is very safe in rabbits. Rabbits are hard wired through evolution to NOT show pain because in the wild they would eaten if it were obvious to predators that they were painful or in an otherwise weakened state. Enemies always prey on the easiest looking target. I would call and demand metacam. I can't believe a vet would not send some home in this day and age. :(

Latest posts

Back