Pee problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odindax

Reaction score
I recently adopted a bunny, and I'm also a first time owner! I love my rabbit, but he's causing problems with my carpet.

The SPCA said he was litterbox trained, and he is for the most part. He has a temporary home in the corner of my living room, the it's only home he's known. He likes to pee in tiny bits in the opposite corner. I really have no idea why he's doing it, but I was thinking of moving his temporary home over there.

My question is, will this solve the problem?

Also, I've scrubbed the carpet, then added the miracle urine stuff, then used baking soda. There's still a faint smell of rabbit urine afterwards. Is there a better method of cleaning the carpet?

Further, I'd like to set up a permanent home for him outside. I live in the Bay Area, so the winters and summers aren't too harsh. I'd probably still take him in at night, because I'm a softy. I've never seen raccoons, owls, or opossums around here though.

My question in that regard is, what temperature range can I keep him outside? It's nice here during the day, but it gets to the lower 50's at night right now.

THANKS!

Let's start with a little more background: how old is he? Is he neutered? How long have you had him? What are you housing him in right now?

The first couple days, a rabbit should be left alone in his cage. This allows him time to settle in and get used to all the new sights, sounds and smells of his new home. It also helps establish his litter box as 'the place to go.'
Once he's settled in, he should be s l o w l y given space. Something like an x-pen around the cage will allow him some freedom and allow you to monitor how good he is about going back to his litter box for his business.

Rabbits typically litter train easily -- especially when fixed. Unfortunately, and as you have found out, the smell is difficult to get out. Even if you can't smell it, bunny still may and that is an open invitation to go there again. So while he's settling in, it would be best to keep him totally away from whatever areas he has gone already. I would also confine him to his cage for a couple days to get the hang of the box. (BTW, white vinegar is good for cleaning the smell on the carpet.)

Of course, if he's hormonal, then you may need to wait until he's fixed until allowing him on carpet. In the meantime, a heavy duty plastic tarp can be laid down to protect the flooring.

I would encourage you to consider keeping him indoors. Indoor bunnies tend to get much more attention and those subtle behavior/health signs or changes tend to get noticed quicker. OUtdoor bunnies kept alone, also are more likely to get bored. So I would greatly encourage you to find out more about how to house a rabbit indoors in a satisfactory way (to you and the rabbit). You can check my site if you like.

The mild temperatures of CA can be ok for a rabbit, except, perhaps, the summer high's. Anything over 85F is a bit hot for a bunny. They can handle the cold much more easily. But outdoors they are more at risk for flystrike, insect issues, fright from predators, lack of attention, etc.

Last edited:
Hi I would say moving his litterbox into the spot he likes to go in might help. White vinegar is great for getting rid of stains in the carpet and covers odour well too. It is best for rabbits to be inside animals even though they still do ok outside. It is not so much the temprature which is a factor as opposed to the social interaction. Even though you still visit you're rabbit lots it is just not the same as them living inside. When they are inside they get to watch and see things happening and won't be forgotten. If you do decide to house him outside a rabbits temprature copability range is about 15-21 celcius. Sorry I'm Australian and don't no howe high that is in fahrenheit. If the temprature gets to 31celcius or higher please bring him inside as rabbits do not cope with the heat well.

Thanks for both your answers.

Yes, he's a neutered male. He's estimated to be between 3 and 4 years old. I've had him for a month, but he's had free range of the house from almost the moment we got him. I'm housing him in a pen I made myself. He has a tarp base, lots of space (about 4.5ft x 3ft), an old cat tree he likes to sleep in, a blanket, litterbox, food bowl, water, etc.

I don't mind keeping him indoors. The smell of hay and litter box stuff is sometimes annoying for when I want to have guests over. Kinda the reason I want him outside, but I'll just move him out there temporarily, I guess. I'm building a hutch right now.

I'd hate to confine him, since he loves to run and hop and climb the stairs. He's good about everywhere else but just that one corner.

I do love my bunny, and we're starting to bond. He's already chewed some wires, but mostly everything is rabbit-proofed. He's not allowed in the bedrooms. I give him lots of attention though, so I agree keeping him outside isn't the best idea.

I'll pick up some vinegar. Thankfully, it's cheap!

Giving a rabbit too much free space too soon, usually results in pee problems like what you are having. That is why I suggested confining him for a couple days. It's best to make sure he is good and consistent with his potty habits. Then gradually expand his roaming area. I wasn't suggesting the confining be permanent. I would actually suggest a do-over: confine him for a few days and then let him gradually work up to his usual space as long as he consistently returns to his litter box to urinate.

The smell of hay can't be completely avoided, but there should be no litter odor. I have my rabbits' litter box in the family room (in their open cage) and it does not smell. I only change it twice per week (at most). Visitors come and have no idea we have rabbits until they actually see them. Using the right litter the right way makes all the difference for smell. (I have it detailed on my site) Those wood pellets that many of use are great for odor control.

If he is only peeing in that one other corner, just putting another litter box there will solve the issue.

That reminds me.... As far as litter goes, I've been using the bedding stuff. My roommate, who owned a bunny, used only this. I asked about using real litter and she said it wasn't necessary. Rabbit doesn't seem to mind using it, but I do wonder if litter would be better. She also said rabbit would just pee where I put bedding anyway.

Thanks for your replies again, you two. I've been reading your link, Blue Eyes. So far, Destructo Bun has killed two wires and chomped on two others. Luckily, I rabbit proofed the computer and tv areas on day one.

I also had a question about fleas, if he should get them. I heard Advantage, et al. for kittens works on rabbits, but I also read that medication is better. Any advice there?

That reminds me.... As far as litter goes, I've been using the bedding stuff. My roommate, who owned a bunny, used only this. I asked about using real litter and she said it wasn't necessary. Rabbit doesn't seem to mind using it, but I do wonder if litter would be better. She also said rabbit would just pee where I put bedding anyway.

Thanks for your replies again, you two. I've been reading your link, Blue Eyes. So far, Destructo Bun has killed two wires and chomped on two others. Luckily, I rabbit proofed the computer and tv areas on day one.

Loose bedding like Carefresh can be used as bedding or as litter. Wood pellets and pelleted paper litter like Yesterdays News can also be used as bedding or as litter. The term 'bedding' often refers to what people put down to cover the entire cage floor. 'Litter" on the other hand, more often refers to something used in a litter pan to absorb urine and odor.

So if someone has a rabbit that is litter trained, then there is no purpose for having loose bedding elsewhere in the cage (unless that someone happens to enjoy cleaning up all that mess!). In fact, when one is in the process of litter training, it is definitely NOT a good idea to have loose bedding anywhere else in the cage. Otherwise, bunny can get confused as to where he is supposed to potty.

So I write all that since I wasn't sure what you were meaning about the bedding vs litter. :)

Using bedding as litter in the litter box is fine -- whatever you prefer. I just love the wood pellets because they are cheap and are just great for odor control.

Cords and wires, oh my! Most bunnies seem to find them irresistible -- the next best thing after hay!! (or maybe better)
I have my family pretty well trained about watching where they plug in their phone and laptop chargers. And bedrooms and offices are blocked off. :shame

As far as fleas go, I have never had a rabbit get fleas. Last year, we spent some time in a cabin in the woods and our dog got fleas and brought them home. He is loose in the house with the rabbits, so I was concerned. He had to get dipped and the whole house had to get sprayed (twice!). But the rabbits never got any fleas. The vet said that fleas from dogs don't seem to like the taste of rabbit.

I know that there is one flea product that is not safe for rabbits (maybe frontline???) but I can't recall right now.

I know that there is one flea product that is not safe for rabbits (maybe frontline???) but I can't recall right now.

Frontline is the BAD one. It will likely kill your rabbit if applied to them. I'm fairly certain that Revolution is the safe one, but Advantage (maybe) can also be used.

In regards to the litter issues, I agree that either adding a second litter tray, or shifting the primary litter tray to that area may solve the problem. It's not too much of an issue what you're using as litter, so long as you're not using scented, clay-based, or clumping cat litters. Compressed wood or newspaper pellets and carefresh style litters seem to be the most common for use with rabbits.

Kitten/puppy revolution is safe. I have used it on my bunnies after I saw one flea on Merlin and freaked out. The next day I saw one dead flea on his head. I guess he was just infested by that one flea lol. Anyway revolution hasn't had any negative effects on them at all so I recommend it. Not sure about advantage.

Thanks again for all your replies! I'll post an update in this thread to let you all know how it worked out.

Latest posts

Back