Amount of water bunny drinks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionheadluv

Reaction score
Hi all,
We have a lionhead named Simba that we've had for 3 days. He is 12 weeks old. He has a large cage plus his own room. We put a ton of hay in his cage and a small bowl of pellets.

We've noticed he drinks a lot (?) of water. He drank about a 1/3 cup of water in 3 days. He's indoors and kept at about 69 degrees.

Is this a lot of water or normal?

Just want to make sure he's ok.

Thanks! I only have gerbils to compare to...and they drink that much water in about a week and a half!

Rabbits drink a crazy amount of water. My rabbits drink about 34oz of water in 2 days! They are adults though and one is a flemish giant mix. About 5-8lbs. They also eat a ton of hay, so be prepared to give as much hay as they will eat. I've gone through about a half a bale of hay in 3 months. It's all the joys of owning rabbits, just be prepared to refill and refill and refill, LOL!

It depends on their diet, rabbits that are getting water from leafy greens will drink less, rabbits that only get a dry diet of hay and pellets will drink more. 1/3 cup in 3 days sounds about right for a dry diet.

Actually 1/3 cup in 3 days isn't very much at all, in fact sounds like too little if anything. Generally a rabbit will consume about 1 oz of water per pound of body weight per day, on a completely dry diet, but this amount can vary a bit with each individual rabbit. If a rabbit also eats veggies, this amount of water consumption will probably be reduced some.

Well, I feel better! He has free range for water (in a rabbit dripper bottle) and the bottle contains purified spring water. I checked the mechanism with my finger and it's fine... I see him drink from it.
As long as he's not dehydrated (he's not), I'm not going to worry:)

Yeah, I agree that it sounds like a small amount, and not a large amount. You may find that he will drink a little more if you offer him a bowl of water as well as the bottle.

Since Simba has his own room to play in, I put a bowl of fresh water out for him in addition to his cage dripper. I'll refresh it daily, when he has playtime. He's already taken some swallows, so I think this amount of water will do:) thanks for the info!

Compared to most of our other domestic animals, many of which are adapted to desert environments, rabbits do drink a lot of water. Most are more willing to drink from a bowl than from a bottle and they should be offered all the water they want.

I used to use bottles but one bunny taught me that he much preferred a bowl. Since then I've used bowls for all my rabbits and notice that they tend to drink much more from a bowl. More water is good! Also, the more hay they consume, the more they tend to drink.

I keep a 20 0z bowl of water for my buns which they all but ignore during the day. But they will drink all 20 oz every night. --That's for 2 average size rabbits (5-6 lbs)... so about 10 oz each per day.

(Oh, we also recently got a Syrian hamster and I was shocked at how long the water lasted!)

Latest posts

Back