2 month old with splay leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abibunny

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old rabbit with one rear splay leg. She doesn't necessarily seem to mind it, and is able to run and play, but I'm concerned about long-term affects. She has trouble cleaning her bum, and as a result, poo clumps up in her fur. I've been grooming her myself, but speaking realistically, I can't keep doing that for the rest of her life. I called the vet I take my other bunny to, but it went to voicemail and he still hasn't called back. Is she still young enough to receive treatment? Do you think a brace would help her or is it too late? I was also wondering if amputation is a good idea? The leg is pretty badly splayed. She doesn't use it when she runs at all, and in fact, it proves to be more of a bother to her. Could she recover from amputation? I just want to do whatever is best for her health long-term. The girl I adopted her from didn't seem to think it was a problem, but I'm just worried about sore hocks and future arthritis. Plus, will this one leg cause problems for the other three? I'd really appreciate any advice I can get.

I can't advise on your specific problem but someone brought a cotton tail into my work with it's leg almost torn off (a hind one). We amputated it, and kept the bunny in a cage in a quiet back room for a couple weeks while it recovered and so I could give it baytril and metacam. When I released it, it ran so fast that you couldn't even tell it had 3 legs!!

Latest posts

Back