Pressed alfalfa versus timothy cubes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warminwisco

Reaction score
Are alfalfa cubes ok or do they make the rabbits fat as my wife is telling me, there is good. They get timothy pellets, kale, are really not big eaters of fresh carrot tops, cilantro like my last rabbit.

Is Kashi cereal ok to give them for a treat, the grainy low sugar stuff? I see the treats in bags at Walmart is worse I think for them.

Alfalfa hay is usually recommended for rabbits younger than 6 months. Timothy or other grass hay is recommended for rabbits over 6 months. So I would look at the cubes in the same way. Look for the cubes that have only hay listed as the ingredient (not molasses or other stuff). Just bear in mind that the hay cubes are more a treat or diversion and are *not* a substitute for the long strands of actual hay. Rabbits need the long strands to pass through their gut to help them maintain a healthy gut.

Cereal of any kind is best avoided. If you are looking for a treat for your rabbit, stick to a small piece of fresh fruit. The bottom portion of the following link explains what 'treats' to avoid:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

Back