how long after neutering do notice a personality change?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherv

Reaction score
My bun was neutered on sept 2nd and stitches were removed from neutering on the 16th there was a little irritation to the right testicle suture sight but applied neosporin (recommended by vet) and is better now...however during this time he was moved from a 6x5pen to a 4x4pen. I'll be moving him back to his larger pen soon. While staying in the smaller pen while recovering after the seuter removal I'd let him out for hop time. He's eats and drinks no problem still enjoys treats but his personality seems off or more distant know. I think he's mad at me or holding a grudge so to speak...at least that's how it feels toward me.

Not for getting neutered but for the change in environment, the three trips the vet in the last two months, the struggling to put neosporin on the former suture sight...it was so hard to find. He also dislikes being picked up but would tolerate it before like when we went to the vets for a initial checkup and nail trim or if I had to move him..but in the last couple of weeks he hates being picked up to be moved to his hop time spot or just to attempt to check his former suture spot... He will absoluteness flip out even if I hold him like a football with his head toward my armpit. He's been acting distant toward me.. He'll hop up to me but once I attempt to pet him he'll either briefly allow it or hop immediately away from me unless I have treats of course. He used to snuggle with me by resting his head on my lap or palm and going into a trance or daze after being pet and sat with for 20+ minutes...now he might hang around for 5 but then want nothing to do with me, acts aloof and distant. Before neutering he
was super social and hoppy he'd honk and try and hump my feet but he never had an attitude or sprayed I'd heard so much about rabbits doing if not neutered. It hasn't been that long since his stitches where out...how long could it take for his personality to shift...I've also heard their alot more mellow after neutering...is this what is meant by mellow :(

Try not to hold him or let him run/jump until the suture site is very well healed - when he moves or when you pick him up, it could be pulling at the sore area and hurting him, which would explain why he flips out and is grumpy about being touched.

It can take over 6 weeks for hormones to die down after neutering. He is likely still hormonal and feeling sore in his boy bits, so he isn't interested in doing much. Give him time to recover from the surgery! You seem to describe his previous sociable behaviour as honking and humping - those are hormonal mating behaviours that most people neuter so it will go away! :p And I've never met a bun who wasn't a bit aloof about pets... that's just something that comes with maturing out of babyhood. It doesn't mean he's mad at you, he's just a big boy now who's too cool to be smothered with mummy's love.

Latest posts

Back