Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstielou

Reaction score
Hi,
I have had my rabbit, thumper, for a year, a few months ago I bought him a girlfriend, she was 17 weeks old, we got her spayed when she started to try to hump our arms and spraying, she was spayed about three weeks ago so I know her hormones won't be completely settled yet. They are in separate cages, and we have made a mesh divider in the run on the grass, however, they will sometimes scrap at the divider when in the run, but at other times they will lay side by side sprawled out which tells me they are relaxed!!! They also will eat next to each other and drink, but they do grunt and scrap at the middle partition as well so I am in two minds at whether to put them together again as when we did before they went for each other, the first time we did the female (the newest rabbit) made her dominance clear and mounted his head (before spaying!) then the second time we tried they went for each other fighting and I had to separate them so we haven't tried again. Any help would be appreciated. The male was neutered a long time ago so his hormones are fine by the way. Thanks. Kirstie ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1411145233.385181.jpg

No harm giving it another week to be safe. Far better to start off on the right note than to have a couple of first dates go bad and then having to try and resuscitate the relationship. When divided bunnies always seem calm, but take the divider out and it's a whole different story.

Well I have had the female rabbit for about three months now so they have been divided for a long time. And in separate cages. When I open the top of the run to get them out they always try to jump over to each other's side. Although her hormones aren't normal yet so I think I'll wait till then. Any tips? From anyone? Please help me.

When you're letting them be in the same space, where are you doing it? Are you just taking away the divider? When you start to introduce them again, take them away from their cage to a place that neither of them has ever been, neutral ground. Using a small space like a bathroom can be good, and the slippery floor can help ward off some fighting if they can't get a good grip. Bring both in at the same time, wear protective gloves if you need to in case of fighting, keep it short initially (5 mins tops) and try to end on a good note (even if that good note is nipping instead of all out fighting). Bring them to the neutral ground daily, and as you start to see improvement, increase the duration of them in 5 minute increments.

Well I have had the female rabbit for about three months now so they have been divided for a long time. And in separate cages. When I open the top of the run to get them out they always try to jump over to each other's side. Although her hormones aren't normal yet so I think I'll wait till then. Any tips? From anyone? Please help me.

Even though you have had the female for 3 months, it has only been 3 weeks since the spay. She is really a "new" bunny after her spay so it would be more accurate to start counting after her spay... or even better, after her hormones have completely dissipated. In other words, the time before the spay doesn't count toward bonding. I agree with the others to wait it out and then begin in neutral territory.

Latest posts

Back