Anyone Ever Use AeroKat on a Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
AeroKat is a tight fitting face mask which allows medication to be inhaled more effectively than other methods. My vet thinks I should buy one for my rabbit who may have a touch of asthma. Although she is showing no outward signs such as sneezing, wheezing or gurgling I wonder if I should try it on her. Putting a tight face mask on my bunny would petrify her. Any ideas?

Personally (and dont take this personally) I think your vet is nutters. I can't fathom puting a tight fitting mask on a bun. I've seen oxygen masks lain in front of small animals, but never fitted.

Sneezing or Gurgling are not signs of asthma.
Asthma is an inflammatory disease. So the tubes the air travel in a sense will tighten making it more difficult to breathe. Its like taking a deep breath through your mouth, then trying to take that same breath through a tiny straw.
You may notice wheezing, "coughing", shortness of breath, increased rapid shallow breathing so increased work of breathing.

You may actually be surprised at how well your rabbit can and will tolerate one of these masks. Especially if put into a bunny burrito (a proper one) prior to putting the mask on the face, there likely wont be a whole lot of fight.

We just had to do one of these masks for our spastic border collie with chronic lung disease and he spazzed a bit the first 2 or so times but now takes it like a champ.
THe masks are too expensive. Shop around. You may be able to purchase the tube you spray the inhaler in elsewhere or from a human pharmacy and the bunny specific mask directly from the vet.

I needed to nebulize Cricket and initially tried using a pediatric mask on her, but she hated it when it would touch her whiskers. I ended up drilling a hole in a plastic box and hooking the nebulizer up to that instead. The aerokat mask is much smaller though and probably wouldn't touch as much of the rabbit's face. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Since I posted I have sent the x-rays and report to 3 knowledgeable rabbit vets. Unfortunately they are not in this town but I have dealt with them in the past regarding rescued rabbits.
All 3 said they saw no signs of asthma but possibly some slight irritation from dust or such and they would not recommend using the mask.
Years ago when I had to dose her with Panacur she fought the plastic syringe going into her mouth. A mask would stress her much too much.

Latest posts

Back