Bunny pairing help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylz69

Reaction score
Hello
I am wanting too look at getting my bunny a friend but I have a few concerns.
My male is a neutered lop ear of undefined age. He has had his share of health issues, and a year ago was diagnosed with EC. However he has not relapsed in a year and is not medicated for it (and has no head tilt or typical after effects) due to this though a rescue has refused to adopt me a friend.
I honestly didn't think it would be an issue but they are concerned.
Prior to this being bought to my attention I found a make that sounded perfect but not neutered.
So firstly do I have any business looking for a friend for my boy?
Secondly if I could, could I get this fella, neuter him and introduce to mine, knowing I can't bunny date a fixed and not fixed male.
It's starting to seem like a bad idea

I'm pretty sure boy/girl relationships work out better because the thing about same sex pairs is that their hormones are still somewhat there, so that may lead to fighting or territory problems. Go on YouTube and watch BudgetBunny she has 2 pairs of male/female pairs, and I think she has a video about bonding, also check 101rabbits

A male that isn't fixed isn't likely to bond with your boy. Even of neutered pairings, the male/male is considered most difficult. Followed by female/female. The easiest pairing is supposed to be male/female.

If your intent is a bondmate for your boy (and not just a 2nd bunny for you), then you'll want to do all you can to ensure you wind up with a bondable rabbit. Getting an intact rabbit is hit or miss as to whether or not it will bond with your current boy (even after the new one is fixed).

Doing the bunny-dates with fixed rabbits would be the simplest way to go. The rescues usually work with you to ensure you wind up with a successful bond. So even if one rabbit doesn't work, they often allow an exchange of the attempted one for another one.

I don't know if the bunny date thing is a good idea though if he apparently has EC?
One rescue has flatly declined to adopt me a rescue, let alone let him bunny date.

It's def for him tho, I don't really want to get another rabbit, but if it makes him happy what the heck, the more the merrier.

Attempts to introduce him to others didn't go well prior to me getting, and he was very aggressive with the neighbors female when she jumped in his pen, but he has mellowed a lot.
I'm getting put off the thought

Oh, yeah, I forgot you had mentioned EC.

I've had some rabbits that were very difficult to pair, so I understand the hesitation. Some are just very picky about their friends!

Then again, I have also kept some single rabbits that seemed perfectly content being single. Perhaps your boy will continue to be fine without a bunny companion. He may be just as happy with you.

How can I introduce a rabbit to a bonded pair. They are sisters.

Trios can be a bit tricky. Are the sisters both spayed?
When introducing a 3rd bunny to an existing pair, there is always the risk that the original bond could break. If you are prepared for that to happen, then you could consider trying to bond the 3rd rabbit.

You can look here for some tips:
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

Latest posts

Back