Can a purebred NZ White NOT have pink eyes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryant

Reaction score
My wife thinks pink eyes translates into "demon-bunny from hell" so when picking out rabbits, she chose one without pink eyes. However her white offspring (she was bred with my Flemish mix) do have pink eyes. Since the albino gene had to come from from the NZ, would this mean that my NZ doe is pure, and the eyes not being pink is just a personal quirk?

What colour are the eyes? I'm not sure if pure New Zealand whites can have other eye colours, but I'm sure that it's at least not breed standard for whites not to have red eyes. The New Zealand does come in other colours, black and red, for which the eye colour is brown, so perhaps she has been bred partly from another colour line.

Also, I believe albinism is recessive, so if she was bred to your Flemish (what is he mixed with and what is his colour), it doesn't really explain the red eyes. If your flemmy is also NZ white mix, then they could produce red-eyed white offspring, however you wouldn't expect them all to be REW.

Last edited:
Her eyes are Brown. My Flemish mix is a dark greyish color with brown eyes as well, and i believe he's mixed with NZ

Good question, but I know that a NZ white that doesn't have the red eyes is not showable. It may be that one of the parents was a NZ but not white...or maybe even another breed? I had a REW Polish that I bred with other varieties, but if she had a white it always had the red eyes.

If they're both mixed with NZ then it's likely they're both carrying the recessive gene for the red-eyed white, which is why you ended up with some. That's about all I can guess at.

Latest posts

Back