Messy Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitdadinga

Reaction score
My 4 month old doe lionhead is mostly litter box trained but she has some accidents at times. I'm ok with that as I've heard that she'll get better after her surgery when she's 6 months old.

However, she seems to be very messy to me. She digs in the paper litter and throws it out and makes a huge mess with both the litter and the hay. Paper litter and hay are all over her pen and on the floor around the pen.

Is there a way to train her to be less messy with her litter box?

Some bunnies just love to dig and make a mess :D You could get a grate to sit in her litter tray. Put the litter under the grate, the grate on top, then all her pees and poops fall through and she can't dig anything out. I would then also suggest hanging the hay in a hay rack above/next too her tray. She still might pull it all out, but it's better than having soiled litter everywhere as well. The other alternative is to get a high-sided litter tray, or use a plastic storage tub and just cut a dip in one side to make it easier for her to get in and out. You don't really want a fully covered tray like those cat ones because there needs to be good ventilation.

Back