Strange ailment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Jesse

Reaction score
Posted this before about my quivering/shaking bunny. She is a watered down English Spot and eats well, drinks. poops and is active. She seems okay but every so often she will sit or lie and shake very finely. If I approach her she will snap out of this "trance" and be normal. As she shares her hutch I cannot tell if she is defecating or urinating but the hutch has a fair amount of wet and pellets. I find she seems to be lying down more than before. She has had her vitals checked and I felt her tummy which does not seem swollen. Her body feels as warm as the other bunnies.
I have read as many books on things like blockages, stasis and such and in most instances they say that if she was bothered she would not eat. This girl is keen to eat and goes through a lot of hay. When I check on her at night the others are all sleeping and she is sitting there chewing hay.
One thing it might be is heat. I am well versed on heat problems with bunnies and as our climate is not that severe I still make certain of shade. Recently we have had months of hot weather and although she is outdoors during the day there is some shade. But as the season is changing the sun is now more direct on her hutch and she and her mate - a black Dutch - hide in their carrier. She appears unaffected.
Have spoken to other rabbit people and it has me puzzled and concerned. I will speak to the vet if she is there (rarely it seems) and its $90 each time I do.

Do you think you could get a video of the issue? It would help not only us but also your veterinarian.

I would say both of my rabbits sort of quiver with their breathing when they lie down, but you could be describing something completely different.

I wish I could take a video but do not have a camera nor a cell phone camera. But thank you for the suggestion.
It is really a strange situation. One of my bunny gurus says if she is eating and grooming she is fine and that I worry too much. Perhaps I do but what is happening to her is new to me.
After my last post I put her and her sister into the indoor hutch to get them out of the sun and most of the time they were snoozing which I believe is siesta time for English Spots. Once the sun was gone I brought them both out and then offered them their supper pellets. They both devoured them and then she groomed a bit and checking on her now she is eating hay.

Yea, a closeup video would help. I know when it's warm rabbits may 'pant'...you can see their ears move. Sometimes it's more of a quiver if they are just a little warm.

She is not panting and although it has been warm it cools very nicely at night yet she still quivers. Again its not all the time. If she is lying there and quivers/trembles/vibrates as soon as she gets up and starts some activity it goes. And often when she is lying she is not quivering. She does seem to be lying more flat out it seems. Ten minutes ago she was in the corner of her pen eating hay and just a few minutes later she was lying down again. But when I went to her saying my usual "hay-hay-hay" she perked and got on her hind legs to get it.
Unfortunately my two other bunnies, a partly blind Himmy and a Palamino are getting a bit ignored.

I am still concerned. Last night I checked and again this morning very early on her. Both times she was sitting up eating hay. Two hours later I gave her pellets for breakfast as always. And she devoured them. I noticed in her hutch there was a large pile of poop pellets, more than I have seen in one place.
She is outside now but lying quietly in the same spot in her pen, not hiding in a corner or in her carrier which is in the pen. She is still shaking on occasion and she does seem a bit lethargic.
The fact that she is eating well is temporary mental relief to me as I know sick rabbits do not eat.\I called the vet office and the only rabbit vet is not in until Wednesday but there is another who has worked with rabbits. I am leery about those kind and to have the vet say they have no idea but here is my bill for $90 is frustrating. I would pay anything to get her well. I am irked that there are so few (almost none) vets who know rabbits in this town.

Still puzzled but Tuesday I will finally see a rabbit vet. Was watching her closely throughout the day. She acts normal most of the time, eats and comes running for supper but the other times she lies down and rather than trembling she seems to be breathing rapidly. That is the best description I can give.

Maybe she's having trouble getting enough oxygen or similar. Like normal activity levels make her more tired than they used to so triggers the trembling? Just a thought as it made me think of my brother's cat he had growing up. She was bitten by a snake and after that she had heart issues which basically meant that she would do a small bit of running around, and would have to lie down for ages to recover because her body simply couldn't keep up. So there may be something underlying going on there. Surely a good listen to heart and lungs would be able to rule out something like that though, maybe a blood test for other organ function?

I've really got no idea, just speculation really. I hope you get some answers.

Unusual increased respiratory rate can happen when a rabbit is experiencing any discomfort or pain, as well as heart or respiratory issues. These symptoms that your rabbit has been experiencing will likely need further diagnostics such as a blood test and xrays, to help get to the bottom of, as trembling and fast breathing are just symptoms of a wide variety of health issues. So taking her into the vet is a good call.

This rapid breathing only lasts for a very short time, generally seconds. As soon as she is up or offered hay she stops. I know rapid breathing can be caused by a very warm location but this is not the case.
She may be a bit obese as she likes to steal her mate's food pellets. I am cutting back the pellets very gradually from her present 1/4 cup a day. Her mate prefers hay over the pellets and as soon as she heads for the hay Bandita goes to her bowl.

Saw the vet last Tuesday and she spelled basically doom and gloom. Could not hear the heart and figured a chest problem and strongly suggested chest x-rays at $215.00. Okay and she said she thought asthma but the x-rays would show. Well according to the x-rays she was right but she would like to send the pictures to a radiologist at $70. Radiologist confirms asthma (maybe). Vet prescribes Baytril and wants me to have an inhaler (full mask type) at $79. The medication would come from my local pharmacy at $137. I decide to hold off on the inhaler because I think it would stress the rabbit too much and she is showing no outward signs of asthma. The vet says rabbits don't and could die the next day.
The inhaler is a tight fitting mask by AeroKat and the bunny has to have it on for 7-10 seconds. The mere thought of using it bothered me and would do more damage to her.
I asked for the x-rays (digitally) and sent them to a vet I dealt with in Texas. She could not see asthma and figured the inhaler is not required. My cat's vet wanted to see them as well and she could find no traces of asthma and again rejected the inhaler idea. I finally got an appointment with my regular bunny vet and sent the x-rays before hand.
Bunny was given a very thorough exam and everything sounded perfect. No respiratory sounds, heart strong and GI tract. Pulse and temperature were in range. She said she can find nothing wrong at all.
She did see the x-rays and passed them to their radiologist and they both came to the same conclusion as the vets in Texas and at my cat hospital.
I was pleased but at the same time curious why the first vet would prescribe the inhaler and say the rabbit could die without warning. She is an excellent vet and took great care of my late Sedgewick. She is aware that I am rabbit health savvy and don't think she was trying to BS me.

Latest posts

Back