Papaya tablets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned they give rabbits papaya tablets to help during molt. Would you give me a link? Should they be a product for rabbits or any digestive tablets would work?

Oxbow used to produce Papaya Plus tablets, but they have since been discontinued. Now they have a line of Natural Science supplements, including one for skin and hair. I haven't heard of any other papaya tablets.

I just saw on that webpage
Fill sprayer with the desi Red volume of water and add viper insecticide concentrate.
Is it a suggested use? :)

I never used this tablets. Do we only give it during molt?

They might not be available much longer. Doctors Foster and Smith as well as Bunspace sell diced papaya, which would have the same result. You'd just feed sparingly like any treat.

The oxbow papaya tablets contained concentrated amounts of the enzyme in papaya so chunks of dried papaya wouldn't have the same effect. Oxbow is recommending their digestive support tabs instead but they don't have the enzyme in them.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PZEBKS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

"Fill sprayer with the desi Red volume of water and add viper insecticide concentrate" makes no sense in context with the papaya tabs and seems to be referring to another product.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is much debate about the effectiveness of papaya and pineapple with regards to fur balls. For the enzymes to be effective at breaking down the fur, they need to be at such a high temperature that a rabbit would not be living through it. I have heard that it can help break down the food and other matter around the fur, so that may help break up a blockage.

Getting the rabbit to eat more hay and drink helps a lot more. Hay helps keep the gut moving and pushes out fur that is in the digestive tract. Water and hydration also helps keep things moving and healthy. Regular brushing, especially during a moult, helps prevent too much fur from being ingested.

Fresh papaya and pineapple can also help. My vet has told me to give my bunnies either the pills or fresh fruit or dried fruit with no sugar added. He suggested this in addition to hay and water, etc...

Vanessa

Do you feed papaya only during molt or daily, and at what age can you start feeding?

The price is so high because Oxbow doesn't make them anymore. However, people are still selling the old ones and jacking up the price because there aren't many sellers.

I saw on a rabbit youtube channel idk if its Rossiebunneh but you can buy storebought ones at like drugstores and theres the fraction of the cost.

The price is so high because Oxbow doesn't make them anymore. However, people are still selling the old ones and jacking up the price because there aren't many sellers.
unbelievable! I was naive thinking Oxbow producing this tablets again!
by the way, all is shipping from Japan.....

Just asking...do papaya tablets help with digestion? We used to use papaya enzyme powder for my daughter's reflux many moons ago.

ANNNND then I followed the link provided above. Yeah...it's digestion. Interesting. I wonder if the enzyme powder would work?

Theres a debate as to whether the enzymes do anything at all.
Honestly the acid found in the stomach is going to do a number on anything that enters.

IMO the goodness we want from the tablets will be rendered useless by the time they hit the stomach making any benefits to the intestines useless.

I was at my local feed store which is a big store (kellyville pets) and they stocked the old oxbow ones but they might have old stock :(

Latest posts

Back