9 kits born tonight, too many?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryant

Reaction score
I had two NZ expecting this week. Went out tonight to check if Alexandria had started pulling fur and was blessed! The Powers that be let me stumble out and see her kindling! She had one outside of the nest box, so i immediately intervened. Once i made sure it was okay i placed it inside the box and watched her clean it.

I decided to check back later to make sure she had placed the rest inside. All was well and there are 9 babies wiggling out back right now.

Question: is 9 too many? Easter is laying fur for here so i can try fostering of need be, But if this is a reasonably manageable i don't want to do anything unnecessary.

I'm fairly certain that 9 is a common number for NZ as they tend to have large litters. Just reading online that 8-12 is the general range, so she should be fine. Though of course, you may have to foster some out anyway for whatever reason, but she should do fine. Is it her first litter?

I'm fairly certain that 9 is a common number for NZ as they tend to have large litters. Just reading online that 8-12 is the general range, so she should be fine. Though of course, you may have to foster some out anyway for whatever reason, but she should do fine. Is it her first litter?

It's her first with me, But she's had litters in the past with her previous owner. Been a while i believe.

What Is going to be the purpose for the babies? If the other doe has less than 6 then you can move a few over and make the litters even. This will help create more uniformity between the litters in size and growth patterns (which is desirable with meat pen litters). If the other doe has a big litter as well just watch the babies and supplement as need be. Also prepare to loose maybe 1 or 2 just in case. With my cals one doe had 7 and the other had 6. We lost one baby before eyes opened because it escaped out the nest and got too cold and then we lost another to mucoid enteritis at weaning age. Offer plenty of hay to the babies at this time. Congrats on the little ones

What Is going to be the purpose for the babies? If the other doe has less than 6 then you can move a few over and make the litters even. This will help create more uniformity between the litters in size and growth patterns (which is desirable with meat pen litters). If the other doe has a big litter as well just watch the babies and supplement as need be. Also prepare to loose maybe 1 or 2 just in case. With my cals one doe had 7 and the other had 6. We lost one baby before eyes opened because it escaped out the nest and got too cold and then we lost another to mucoid enteritis at weaning age. Offer plenty of hay to the babies at this time. Congrats on the little ones

Mine are also meat rabbits, so what you're saying is very good advice to me

I'm preparing to lose a couple, but I'm willing to intervene within reason to help them survive.

Latest posts

Back