Help! Licorice toxic?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams1786

Reaction score
Hi - in need of quick advice. Just found bun buried in a package of black licorice strings (you know that long stringy candy?). No idea how much she ate (or where she got it). Obvi the sugar isn't good for her, but does anyone know of licorice is toxic? A few sites have licorice leaves listed as highly toxic but 1. It's candy 2. I think the licorice flavor comes from the root? I called our local emergency vet but they said they'd never heard of licorice being toxic and the only thing they could do would be to call poison control. Anyone know more? Thanks!

I haven't found any info that would indicate the licorice flavoring would be harmful to rabbits, but that doesn't mean it can't be. If you are concerned poison control for pets might be able to help with info, but not sure if they would have accurate info on how it affects rabbits, as most pet info is for dogs and cats. They do charge a fee.

The sugars in the candy could cause problems though, depending on how much was consumed. So you will want to keep a close eye out for any changes in your buns eating, drinking, and pooping.

Latest posts

Back