First Rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbadingo

Reaction score
I was just given my first bunny today. Someone I went to high school with messaged me on facebook asking me to take their rabbit. I told them I don't have a cage and I am still recovering from the recent loss of my family's ferret. They proceeded to tell me if they can't find a home for it they're were going to just "let her go". So I really had no choice but to take her. I was told that she is a young mini lop but I don't know if I can trust that. They thought she was female and I sort of think so too. They were keeping her in a pet taxi and got her from the Hartford fair. She appears to be in good health and is very curious and loves to explore. I've never had a rabbit so I expected her to be more timid but she took a few minutes to take all the change in and now she's been exploring every inch of my room along with doing a few "big hops" in excitement. She will even crawl over my legs to get to the other side of me. She ate some timothy hay and some pellets and drank some water. I'm not so sure she knows how to work a water bottle so I gave her a water dish under it too. From my understanding I will have to get her fixed. I think I read that 6 months is the best time. I have no idea how old she actually is but I need a few months to save up that kind of money for vet expenses so hopefully she is still young. She weighs around 3 pounds right now. Any tips on bonding, litter training, or anything really would be appreciated. She is staying in a medium sized dog cage until I can build her a condo. She can have full roam of my "ferret-proof" bedroom as long as I'm home. I also could use ideas on names. And if anyone can tell me her breed and how big she may be getting I would appreciate that too. She is a sweet little rabbit and I think she will blossom into a great pet since she is already so comfortable! Here are some pictures. She blinks because of my flash.

bunny (1).jpg

bunny (2).jpg

congratulations on your new fur baby !!

i really like the names willow, forest, meadow and blossom !!

What a gorgeous girl. :) I'm so glad you were able to give her a good home.

Getting her fixed will be a great idea, it'll help to curb hormonal behaviour, and if you want to bond her to another rabbit in future it will help (and is necessary if you'll bond her with a male). Most vets will spay girls from 6+ months, but it's a good idea to speak with your vet as they may be more comfortable doing it earlier or later.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your bunny. And, thank you for being willing to take in a rabbit in need. She is lovely and I am sure she will blossom into a wonderful pet and companion for you.

As for names, I like:
Amber
Blossom
Charlotte - Charlie
Delilah
Elly
Freya
Gia
Hazel
Isabelle - Izzi
Jasmine
Kira
Lyla
Mollie
Nealah
Olivia
Poppy
Quinn
Remmy
Shelby
Tasha
Violet
Willow
Zoey

As for spaying, it really is beneficial for the bunny as well as their owner. Many health risks are eliminated and problem behaviors can be better managed. It will also allow for a more favorable outcome if you're considering bonding her to another rabbit in the future. I would recommend finding rabbit savvy vets in your area - that way, you can ask questions, learn why professionals recommend spaying and neutering (outside of population control), and set a plan in place for where, when, and how much the spay will cost. Some veterinarians will spay early while others prefer to wait a bit. Having all of that information helps lessen the anxiety over the procedure. Hopefully, it will lessen some of the fear around cost as well.

You stated that she was a mini lop. I'm no expert, but that does appear to be the case. She has many physical characteristics of a mini lop and her size sounds about right. She will likely wind up in the 4.5-6 pound range when fully grown. I'd say her coloring appears to be chestnut. However, she's a pretty girl regardless of what breed and color she is.

She seems like she is acclimating well and will be a wonderful family member for many years to come. Congratulations, again. I look forward to seeing and hearing more about your new bun in the future...including what you decide to name her!

10615454_10204705427454916_7062681311953626972_n.jpg

Here she is right after I was massaging her forehead for like 15 minutes. She was so relaxed!

Welcome to the forum! I've read that rabbits drink more from a bowl so I think it's good that you gave her that.

I think she is a mini lop too. I have one named Pepper. She is a little over a year old now and is 5 lbs. Here's a picture of her eating her "birthday cake."

P4240022.jpg

Latest posts

Back