How did I use to do this again?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JekkaLynn

Reaction score
My daughter and husband have both been saying we should get rabbits ever since we bought a rabbit cage for some chicks we had and to use to train chickens for shows.
I use to raise rabbits as a teenager and so figured it wouldn't be complicated to set up a the cage and get one dwarf bunny as a pet for my daughter. But one alone might get lonely so I would get two sisters or two brothers.
I found an add for 2 male baby dwarf rabbits and a cage. It was almost an hour away but they were free so we contacted the owner and arranged to go pick up the babies.
We got to the address and found two almost full sized dwarf rabbits. I almost turned right around and left. The picture was of two tiny baby rabbits not two that were just a hair short of being full grown!
The rabbits were not being taken care of properly though so we decided to take them home. We could always fix them up and find them new homes if we wanted babies instead. We took them home. Gave them individual cages and treated the wounds the smaller male had covering his back. Within a day they were coming to the door of their cage to greet us whenever we opened the door. We were thrilled that they turned out to be such friendly animals.
Now we came upon another problem. We had planned on using the one large cage for both rabbits so we could use the two small cages to train our chickens for an up coming show. With them needing individual cages we would need more cages ASAP!
So away we went to a local auction house to see if we could pick up a couple cheap cages. We had a great day and managed to get SEVEN CAGES!!! Unfortunately for my one or maybe two pet rabbit plan one cage held a female rex rabbit, possibly pregnant. And another held a beautiful pair of Netherland Dwarf rabbits (a definitely bred doe, and a buck)....uh oh
If that were not enough. A trip for bunny supplies to our favorite local pet store saw our daughter coming home with a gift of two friendly little gerbils from the store owner. A quick trip to the library got us a book on gerbil care and photo's showing that THANKFULLY we were given two males so we at least have no gerbils babies in our near future.
So now I am sitting here trying to plan out a set up to house all these rabbits (and gerbils) comfortably.
Oy Vey

Your story kind of reminds me how we ended up with three rabbits instead of one! :laughsmiley:

Rabbit math is dangerous...
Not as dangerous as chicken math but still dangerous.

IMG_20140829_165742.jpg

IMG_20140829_165634.jpg

IMG_20140829_165652.jpg

IMG_20140826_123726.jpg

Latest posts

Back