Help with critical care rabbit food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko

Reaction score
Miko my rabbit who is ill (see http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=81871) has been put on critical care + a variety of other medications to treat his malocclusion and abscess in his cheek...

He has been loving the critical care for a few days and eating it relatively happily but through his last few feeds he has been refusing it...

Fearing that he would not ingest any food we decided to blend up some strawberries and try him on them (which he ate happily) and we were just wondering if anyone knows if it is okay to go 50/50 on critical care and other pureed fruits and vegetables that he likes?

sidenote: we cannot go to a vet as it is sunday and we don't have an emergency vet near us.

I would be careful about fruits if he is already ill because of the high sugar content. I have heard that pureed pumpkin is good for rabbits when they are sick so you could try that.

You may need to syringe feed him the critical care. Puréed veg is better then fruit but it doesn't have all the good stuff the critical care has. But eating something is better then eating nothing at all also make sure he is getting enough water too

Bville has said it. You need to be careful about sugar content with rabbits. Too much sugar and starch in their diet, can disrupt the balance of microflora in the cecum, and can sometimes cause very serious overgrowth of harmful bacteria. Adding a little bit of fruit may be ok, but you have to keep a close eye on his poop and ensure it remains normal.

Even adding something tasty to his critical care, may not induce him to eat more on his own. Being on antibiotics can sometimes cause a reduction of appetite. Probiotics like bene bac, can sometimes help, but it may just be he won't eat well on his own and you will have to syringe feed until he does. It is important to keep his food and water intake up to avoid the possibility of stasis until you are able to have his teeth and abscess taken care of, even if you have to force feed. Just make sure to do it slowly and carefully so he doesn't aspirate.

Is he on any pain medication? If not, he needs to be on pain meds, at least some metacam. Pain will cause a rabbit to stop eating, so keeping pain under control is essential to get a rabbit eating on it's own again.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg[/ame]

Miko is on metacam for pain and antibiotics and had some subcutaneous fluids... I forgot to mention that he is already being fed with a syringe as his mouth abscess/teeth are too painful for him to eat by himself.

Miko settled on a 50/50 mix of pumpkin and critical care although this morning he had a mostly critical care batch.

He is off to see the vets today for another consultation and to see if he is well enough to have his teeth/abscess operated on today.

Thank you for your help everyone !!

Latest posts

Back