Fudge- Very sick!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny-Benard

Reaction score
Fudge's symptoms first started off with sneezing, runny poo and breathing loud. The vet gave us Baytril Oral 1% 1mls twice a day for 5 days... This was ok for the first few days, he weren't showing any signs of getting better or worse. On the 3rd day he started sneezing again, really bad. He has been playing out in the garden etc, normal self, just sneezing and breathing difficulties... This morning I found him flat out in his litter tray (never done this before) I thought at first he was just being lazy and staying there so he didn't have to move if he needed the loo. I picked him up and felt how cold he was! I put him straight in his bed with his blanket and other comfy stuff he has. About 10 mins later I grabbed his blanket, teddy and him and took him straight the vets!!! They gave him an examination, temp was fine, but struggling to breathe. They again gave us Baytril Oral but in a stronger dose, 2.5% 2mls twice a day... Along with sachets for his water. Since coming home from the vets he has been grinding his teeth very loud, sleeping constantly and won't eat... I had to put the syringe in his mouth to give him antibiotics and he was no trouble, normally he stresses out trying to get away. I'm really worried about him!!!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1409412936.543953.jpg

It sounds like your rabbit may have pneumonia. Frankly I'm a bit surprised your vet just sent you home with your bun, and only with baytril. Your rabbit needs intensive treatment, likely some oxygen and nebulizing, along with xrays. I would take him back to the vet immediately. You may also want to consider getting a second opinion at a different vet. One that is more rabbit savvy. Tooth grinding is from pain, so your rabbit will also need to get some pain medication.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

I have nothing to add to JBun's post, I hope you get to see another vet as soon as possible to get Fudge back to health.

:pray: Sending good thoughts to you and Fudge.

He has been the vet twice and seen 2 different vets... To be honest, taking him there is making him worse as he is petrified in the car, then he is out into unfamiliar surroundings, he is being poked and prodded by people he doesn't know. I was shocked with the change I seen in him yesterday, I didn't want to leave him for a second... So I took him off upstairs with me, laid his blankeys down, put him on it and surrounded him with his favourite things. Forgot to mention he took his meds about an hour before coming upstairs. He was unsettled to start with, so I got into bed, out his blanket on top of me and laid him on his blanket all wrapped up. After about 30 mins he was up and walking (I was amazed as I thought we may have lost him)... He then is strolling around sniffing and getting all excited doing his happy hops... He tired himself out eventually! This morning he is so much better!! After 2 doses of his meds, a lot of love and cuddles... he is looking a lot better!! He is finally eating (only cabbage) rolling around, and he isn't grinding his teeth no more!! Such a strong brave bunny!!!

Back