Urgent rabbit not eating or pooping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola123

Reaction score
Please help urgently!

Lola is not eating, drinking, or pooping, but has peed a little bit over night. She is also a bit lethargic, but when i try to pick her up, she hops away (As always).

Is this bad? also, her leg bones look more out of place, and yesterday she was leaving a little bit of yellow liquid as she hopped.

UTI or bladder infection? Not sure, this sounds like a job for your vet. I would think though if she's leaving pee and her legs seem out of place, something hurts...perhaps her bladder. You might want to syringe feed her some water and food or critical care to keep her gut going until she can be see by her vet. If you don't have critical care, try mixing up some pellet and hay fines with unsweetened applesauce thin enough to get into the syringe. Hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable will come along between now and then.

it is unbelievable. There are NO vets that treat rabbits in today! What should i do?

If it were my bun, I would research her symptoms in the search box here or even online. Type in You might find an answer close to what you need, print out the information and then I would take my bun to a reputable vet whether he treats bunnies or not. I would start here...this is about bladder infections and symptoms such as the dribbles. If it doesn't sound like this, type in the legs description. If you have to take her to a non rabbit vet, make sure to note special medications and amounts given.

http://www.binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/111551/Default.aspx

DO NOT syringe feed food, until a vet has ruled a blockage out, as this can worsen matters if there is a complete blockage. You'll need to keep looking for a vet that will see your bun. If you see a non rabbit vet, you need to ensure all medications are rabbit safe before they are given. Some antibiotics can cause fatal dysbiosis if given to a rabbit.
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Safe_drugs_main.htm

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21

The leaking urine could be due to a UTI or sludge, but the leakage may also just be due to a painful stomach. The vet may need to take xrays. Your bun will need pain medication, possibly a gut motility med(once the blockage is ruled out), an antibiotic like baytril if a UTI is suspected, fluids if dehydrated or if possible bladder sludge and may need the bladder flushed if so, and other possible meds depending on what is found to be the cause. And if your bun isn't eating, you will need some recovery food like critical care, to syringe feed your bun food and water every few hours, until your bun is eating on her own. You may also need to keep your bun warm, as their temps often drop when in GI stasis.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Last edited:
Ok duly noted! So glad JBun popped in. Now I've learned something that I did not know! Good luck with your baby. We'll put our paws together and whisper a prayer for her.

In the meantime, until you are able to get into a vet, you can try gentle belly massage(though discontinue if it seems to cause your bun pain), encouraging your bun to hop around some, syringing some infant gas drops(simethicone 1cc) in case gas pain is causing this, but it is essential to have your bun seen by a vet asap.

Hi guys.

Lola is grooming herself, looking around, and being curious as always. i tried to syringe feed her water (that was before i saw that post saying not to syringe feed) and she took the water happily. I also ground up water, spinach, and alfalfa and she drank that, also. I gave her belly rubs as she was laying down, so i had to put my hand under her and started rubbing in a downward motion. She didn't wince, so i do not think she is in pain.

One thing that i noticed was that her stomach feels a little loose. i don't think her teeth are the issue here, as it is a sudden stop in eating. also, lola is moulting right now. I try to get off all the excess hair, and she has been passing faeces that were connected with a string of hair a few weeks until yesterday, when she completely stopped. She is still her normal self, the only thing is that she is not eating. And, normally she messes up her cage and i have to re arrange it every morning, but today it was perfect like i had set it up last night. she has not touched her food from 11:00pm yesterday to 9:00am this morning, and at 10:00 am i syringe fed her.

I found this online. Will it help?

http://www.petsmart.ca/small-pet/he...catid-600008?_t=pfm=category&pfmvalue=faceted

If behavior wise, she is acting like her normal self and not showing signs of discomfort or pain, but she still won't eat on her own, then I would suspect dental issues. Dental problems can cause a rabbit to not want to chew because it causes pain, but otherwise they will behave normally and may act initially interested in food. So if your bun still isn't eating on her own, you need to take her in and get her examined, along with a dental exam.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

Signs of Pain in Rabbits
- tooth grinding
- remaining hunched up in a corner
- loss of appetite
- not moving around much, lethargy
- body tension
- increased respiratory rate
- unusual irritability, impatience, or aggresion
- excessive licking and chewing
- eye squinting
- belly pressing
- frequently changing position (laying down and immediately getting back up repeatedly)
- uncharacteristic laying down in litter box
- muscle tremors
- any unusual changes of behavior

I was feeding her some water, and she hopped to her litter box and produces 1 round, normal faeces. Everything is normal about the faeces except it is 3/4 of the size it was normally.

I do not suspect she has dental issues, though. She did not fit any of the characteristics that you mentioned, except loss of appetite (although she willingly takes water), and laying down in her litter box. But she always does that.

and, I do not think she would SUDDENLY stop eating with a dental issue. i checked her teeth, they looked fine. Right now she is laying down. heart beat feels normal. I am planning to let her run the floor, and give her a few good belly rubs.

She is now eating and drinking water from her water bottle. I gave her tissue paper, and is burrowing with delight.

Could she have gas problems? I am learning how to give her an abdominal massage.

Thanks for your help guys.

Lola is now normal. I don't know what happened yesterday!

She is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping fine.

:thumbup Good to hear that Lola's doing better! JBun mentioned infant gas drops(simethicone 1cc) in case gas pain is causing the problem. Those might be good to have on hand. They're not harmful even if this might not be the case. I've been working on an emergency kit to have on hand for Barry and Jovi, and these were my first purchase. We had a similar issue to this with Jovi once and all we could attribute it to was the stress from a massive molting that she was going through. I must have brushed six pound of fuzz from that poor bunny! I hope Lola keeps getting better and everything turns out to be ok.

Hee! Was just an elaborate funny but its crazy how much fuzz a bun can shed during molt.

i hear ya'

Lola is just an UNBELIEVABLE shedder aswell!

All the hair becomes this one legitimate "dust bunny!" Its like a round ball of fur that just gets larger and larger!

Back