Urgent advice please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meowmix008

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am a very worried lop ear rabbit mummy. Dobby has been to the vet today and had an abscess drained under his chin on the left side. The vet assured me he would not need a collar to stop him scratching and itching, but he really does as now he is home and awake he won't stop. I cannot stop him from licking the drain they have lleft in there aand it is after hours now so I cannot get a collar from the vet. Helllllllp

If you have an emergency vet nearby, you may be able to call them up and explain your situation and ask if you can buy an e collar from them.

If you put one on him, you'll have to keep a close eye on the eating and drinking, and may need to assist, as this can impede a rabbits ability to eat and drink, and can also make some rabbits severely stressed having it on. A soft e collar may be better if you can get one.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1409314537.761552.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1409314567.551215.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1409314674.641301.jpg
This is what I made for Shida when she wouldn't leave her stitches alone after getting spayed, I just cut a circle of fleece material out and then a small hole in the middle (big enough to go over her head) I then added a seam to the head hole and threaded a piece of ribbon through so I could make it snug around her neck so she couldn't get her paws through it or her teeth. It was large enough to cover her stitches if she went to lick them but small enough that she wasn't tripping over it and soft enough to let her do the actions of cleaning herself without causing damage and after a day she was her normal self with it on (eating drinking and pooing normally)
Hope this helps.

~Shida (and Shell)

Hi all,
Thanks for the great advice unfortunately Dobby detests the make shift e collar I made and due to the location of the drain and abscess (right under his chin on the left side) I have had to give up on the idea. He was very stressed and unhappy with it on so I have had to remove it cause he is meant to be as stress free as possible with the drain in. He is also refusing to drink his medicated water which I have diluted as per the vets instructions and he will not allow me to give it to him via a syringe. I am going to back to the vet to get the drain removed on Monday and so far it is still in place and he has calmed a lot. I will ask the vet to perhaps inject the remaining antibiotics to ensure he is getting what he needs to recover. He is a difficult patient but I love him dearly so I hope I am doing everything right so far.
Thanks again,
I have attached a photo of a happier Dobby, isn't he gorgeous

20140820_111525.jpg

Latest posts

Back