Vaccines

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trahana

Alone
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new to rabbit ownership and so with a bit of research I'm wondering about vaccines and diseases.

Particularly about myxomatosis.
I live in central coastal California and a few years ago there was a brush rabbit living on my property. While I haven't seen any nearby recently I read that brush rabbits and mosquitoes are one of the ways that myxomatosis spreads to domestic rabbits like mine who lives outdoors.
After reading the other thread about myxomatosis I'm wondering about several things:
Vaccine for myxo- is it worth getting one if my bunny can still get infected?
RHD - I read that it doesn't exist in the USA, is that true?

Is there any other diseases that I should know about, and take preventative action on?

Rabbits in the US typically do not get any vaccines. In fact, I'm not sure if any are even available if you did want them. I believe they are quite hard to come by.

I do recall reading years ago that there have been a very few isolated incidents of myxo somewhere in the west, but my memory fails me on details.

If you are overly concerned, you could always consider housing indoors.

I must be reading the wrong sites then. But that's why I posted here after all, to see what people with rabbits thought. :)

Latest posts

Back