What should I do for my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan50

Reaction score
cleardot.gif

Last couple days it's been hot day and only had the windows opened all the way but no fan or AC. Now since last night she has been not eating much. We have her cage door open so she can get out of cage. What else should we do so she will feel better? I remember she was panting like a dog except no tongue stick out like dogs. What should we do so she will get better? She did eat the celery but not pellets or lettuce. Is she acting like this because she need more exercise or is it from the weather?

On hot days....I put Poland spring bottles filled with tap water in freezer....They lay against the ice bottles....Sometimes I will mist them...but usually just the bottles.

I agree, wet down her ears to help cool her down. Heat can kill bunnies very easily and it does sound like she was overheated. Heat stroke doesn't always show immediately either. Keep feeding leafing greens for moisture. Freeze a water bottle that she can lay against to keep cool and position a fan towards part of her cage (so she can escape the breeze if wanted).

I agree, wet down her ears to help cool her down. Heat can kill bunnies very easily and it does sound like she was overheated. Heat stroke doesn't always show immediately either. Keep feeding leafing greens for moisture. Freeze a water bottle that she can lay against to keep cool and position a fan towards part of her cage (so she can escape the breeze if wanted).

I have been putting the fan on all day also windows open but it's only eating a little bit only. It's barely eating. What can I do so she will begin eating? Have this ever happened to anyone before about your rabbit not eating?

Regarding the frozen bottles.. We use those big, flat, freezer packs you use in cooling containers, you know the ones you take camping and stuff. I'll wrap it in a towel that's not too thick and Fudge will lie right on top of it all day! :D

We currently use one that's water filled. We also got one in the freezer that's gel-based, and even though it says it's non-toxic, I'm weary of using it just in case he'll chew through it (the plastic isn't as thick as the other one either). So not sure if you should use those..

Heat stress is very dangerous in rabbits. When a rabbit is showing signs it is starting to get overheated, it is essential to take immediate steps to cool your rabbit down. If you have AC, turn it on. Providing a frozen bottle or other cold surface like a tile cooled off in the freezer, are both good ways to cool a rabbit down. Also provide fresh cool water to your rabbit. If your rabbit is showing severe signs of heat stress, get your rabbit to the vet immediately!
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/

Heat stress is very dangerous in rabbits. When a rabbit is showing signs it is starting to get overheated, it is essential to take immediate steps to cool your rabbit down. If you have AC, turn it on. Providing a frozen bottle or other cold surface like a tile cooled off in the freezer, are both good ways to cool a rabbit down. Also provide fresh cool water to your rabbit. If your rabbit is showing severe signs of heat stress, get your rabbit to the vet immediately!
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/recognizing-heat-stroke-in-your-pet-rabbit/

Not showing any signs since we been putting fan on by the rabbit and weather seems to be cooler..do u think she's barely eating because from the heat stress from couple days ago?

Could be, I definitely would get your rabbit eating ASAP! Best can lead to stress, which can lead to gi stasis, which is fatal. If your rabbit stops eating, I world get to a vet immediately

Latest posts

Back