do bunnies go into heat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepsipooper

Reaction score
Pepsi is doing some new things in the last week or two that is having me believe she may be in heat ( if they even do) like continually jumping up for pets but pushes my arm/wrist side to side and nips me as she licks me intensely.
last night my fiance said Pepsi wouldn't stop and even wrapped her paws around his arm and wouldn't let go..
what on earth is she doing this for?

From what I've read, rabbits don't go into heat like a dog or cat does. They are induced ovulators, which means that the doe releases eggs in response to mating. Is she spayed? If not, she's probably being hormonal. How old is she? Sounds like she's reaching sexual maturity.

Ya i know its not like other animals :) she is 9 months old. She also makes gruffing noise..maybe calling out? & no she is not spayed yet.

Yeah, it just sounds like hormonal behaviour. It can fluctuate but rabbits don't go into heat.

Spaying her would be a good idea to prevent that behavior from continuing or getting worse. It has been said that if one waits too long to get a rabbit fixed, that the naughty behavior can become ingrained.

Ok.. i need advice regarding Pepsi..
I talked to some 4H girls who said YES does can go into heat. With that being said, & along with my intial post she is doing other things of concern.
Pepsi has for the couple of weeks been "humping" my fiance..

Here is where i need help..
Today she was pulling apart my couch cushion and had a big piece of fluff in her mouth and seamed to be caryimg it around as well as throwing her head all around. It seamed to me as though the fluff was stuck in het mouth/throat and was running around like crazy. Then she all of a sudden started pulling her fur out.

She wouldnt let me get it out and kept running and making noises at me.
Finally i caught her, held her tight and pulled the fluff or tuff to find a handful of her fur in my hand. I dont w know where it came from, her mouth or throat but it wasnt all that wet. Still it scared me enough to write and see what some of you think.
She seams to be ok now, no fluff or fur in her mouth but she continues to try getting the fluff from my couch and as i wrote this she is pulling more fur and trying to pull my fluffy blaket apart....plz help

Rabbits do not have an estrus cycle. The girls are wrong.
"The female rabbit, however, does not have an oestrus cycle with regular periods of heat during which ovulation will occur spontaneously. Does are considered to be in oestrus more or less permanently. Ovulation occurs only after mating. A female rabbit is therefore considered to be in heat when she accepts service and in dioestrus when she refuses."
http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690e/t1690e05.htm

Intact female rabbits experience varied types of hormonal behavior that range from spraying, mating their owners, territorial aggression, and pseudo pregnancies.

This behaviors can start when the female is 4-8months of age. Spaying has the best chance of eliminating these behaviors but cannot be guaranteed depending on the age and other factors.

Pseudo pregnancies occur in intact females and can be very deceiving. I have even heard of a doe producing milk due to one. Most of my does that go through one just nest. This is probably what yours is going through if she has not been mated with a buck

Latest posts

Back