Has anyone's bunny survived myxomatosis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate58

Reaction score
Hi, there!
I have 2 bunnies, they're both 3 months old. They're Tommy and Ariel, a couple, and on August 21st, I noticed they were sick. Tommy was having a bad time breathing and Ariel had "sleepy" eyes, so I took the bus to their vet and she told me she was almost sure it was myxomatosis. First, I thought Tommy would have better chances of survivig than Ariel, because he was vaccinated and she wasn't (she was too thin when I got her in July), but he caught this infection by Pasteurella (we think), that causes him to experience breathing difficulties. Despite she's not vaccinated, Ariel did not get any sign of breathing troubles, but has the clear signs of myxomatosis: on August 25th, her eyelids are swollen and so are her ears, vulva and anus. Plus, her temperature was 39.5ºC 2 hours ago.
Tommy had a white secretion but he doesn't have it anymore; actually, his eyes look almost normal and he doesn't have any part of his boddy swollen. Unfortunately, he has skin lesions on his eyelids, testicles and ears and he's still struggling with the breathing problems.

I've searched many websites and most of them say it's pointless to treat the animals and that they should be put asleep as soon as possible, which made me feel very hopless. However, I looked for myxomatosis survivals and I found some and that's why I'm here!

Right now, my both bunnies are eating well, there's no need for syringe feeding, they're active and alert, making regular faeces and urine. They eat the veggies and hay I give them.
Their medical treatment consists on:

- Voltaren and clorocil eye drops every 4 hours (an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic) - 1 drop of each in each eye;
- Meloxivet every 24 hours (an non steroid anti-inflammatory) - 0.15 mL
- Penicilin injections every 48 hours (antibiotic) - 0.1 mL

I also prepare vicks vaporub steam (1 or 2 soup spoons in boiled water) and eucalyptus steam after infusion.

Whatelse can I do? Has anyone ever treated their rabbits for myxomatosis and they survived? I really hope so!

SAM_3052.jpg

SAM_3046.jpg

SAM_3054.jpg

SAM_3056.jpg

I don't know too much about it as we don't really have it here in the US, but I have read of other peoples rabbits recovering from this. I think rabbits that have been vaccinated, have the best chance of recovery, but I have read a few accounts of unvaccinated buns surviving. I would think that as long as they are acting well in themselves and especially with them still eating on their own, that they both have a fighting chance. I don't think trying to treat them is pointless at all. As long as they aren't clearly suffering and in a lot of pain, then it is always worth giving them their best chance.

If your bun is having real difficulty with breathing, you may want to ask your vet if nebulizing might be helpful. I'm so sorry this has happened and hope your buns are able to recover from this horrible illness.

Last edited:
I am inclined to agree that Tommy's chances of surviving are better. That doesn't mean that your girl can't survive, but it will certainly be a harder battle for her.

The anti-inflammatory is a good thing, it will help to open up the airway so that they can breathe more easily. The fact that they are eating well is a huge positive, I believe with myxo that the swelling can get so bad that the rabbit simply can't pick up or swallow food anymore, so healthy eating is great.

While they are eating well, I might also consider a pain killer for them, it just might help take the edge off and give them an extra little boost for recovery. In Tommy's case with the pastuerella (and even for Ariel) which might be causing additional breathing difficulties for other reasons (fluid on the lung maybe?) are you also treating for that? Pneumonia is often a secondary killer when it comes to myxo, so you need to watch out for that too.

Best wishes for them both over the coming days.

Thank you so much for replying!
I know, I read that is not common in the US, but I still decided to post this article. I live in Portugal and it is quite commom here. Thanks for the wishes!

Yes, I'm afraid she might get worse because of the swelling, but for now she's ok, eating by herself everything I give her and climbing on things, throwing the away the toilet roll...
I agree that Tommy's situation looks better, because his myxomatosis symptoms seem controlled and milder, once he "just" has those lumps, but I'm very worried about Pasteurella and his breathing issues. The penicilin injections are not only to treat/prevent secondary infections, but also to fight Pasteurella due to its big spectrum of action.
It's very nice to have someone answering our concerns, thank you once again.
I'm adding some pictures so you can see their actual condition (the pics were taken yesterday and two days ago).

SAM_3146.jpg

SAM_3124.jpg

SAM_3127.jpg

SAM_3131.jpg

So you put this post up all about treating your rabbits.. But the question is did they survive....???
Great if you could have completed the post.
Thanks..
I hope they did.. !

Latest posts

Back