Moving from WA to ND with bunny in car

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherv

Reaction score
Right now he has a clamshell that's is big enough to fit his litterbox and him to turn around in but nut stand up...is that ok my thinking is he'd feel more secure being snug as he probably won't be standing much when car is moving.

What carrier type/style and dimensions do you recommend? He is a holland lop under 5lbs.

Also there's no where on his clamshell to attach a water bottle or feeder...but I read waterbottles often leak (if I'm driving so far and the bottle is leaking this could be a problem. I thought maybe I should make pitstops every hour to offer pellets/water I can put hay in with him though.

:bunny19

He'll be okay in a snug carrier, the water is a bigger concern. Does he eat veggies? If so I would recommend bringing along a spray bottle of water and a Tupperware full of his favourite leafy veg. Every half an hour or so spray some veg with water till they're very wet and put them in the carrier for him to munch on. Also bring a small container/bowl to hold water, and fill this up for him at pit stops, especially if he's too stressed to eat the veg.

is it okay to offer pellets/hay during travel since he will be stressed (it's a 3-4 day drive) with pit stops. Also I'd have to being given him alot of veggies overall...is that ok? How much is to much and how many veggies/leafy greens should I give him every pit stop? What about watermelon/bananas they're high in water content

No. I would not change his diet by offering more greens and fruits. That, in my opinion, is just asking for trouble. He'll already be stressed, so changing his diet on top of that is just asking for digestive upset. Honestly, I wouldn't worry so much about water while in the car. If you can put a bottle, that's fine. Or put a bowl in when you stop for a break. But if you are stopping for the night and setting up a temporary cage at hotels (?) then he can get his water then.
My rabbits often don't drink water during the day but drink it all up at night.

Chances are that bunny is not going to be interested in eating at all during your pit stops. He probably won't be interested until he's settled in an x-pen for the night when the car is not moving. As long as he has hay in the carrier, he should be just fine. The hay isn't going to upset his tummy. I also wouldn't alter the normal routine you have for offering pellets. For instance, mine only get pellets at bedtime, so if I go on a trip, I would wait until I got settled in a hotel for the night before offering pellets. I wouldn't offer them during the day while travelling.

Latest posts

Back