New Here: Anyone else experienced this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikkoBunny09

Reaction score
Hi there. 3 years ago my Nikko (5 years old now) had a serious bout of GI stasis. Ever since then, each year around major shedding times she's had a bit of stasis, which cleared up quickly each time with help from her previous vet.

Last Friday she was feeling lethargic, not eating and not pooping. I took her to a new vet because we recently moved to another state (4 months ago) and he did an x-ray, said it looked like the starting of stasis, gave her a shot of steroids (Isn't that bad for bunns??), some baytril and a shot of metaclopramide (reglan).

Since then she's been eating well on her own and her mood is back to normal, but she's still not pooping on her own! I've been giving her simithicone (baby gas drops) .3mL 3 times a day and critical care twice a day despite her eating plenty on her own and these are the only times she poops - after the meds and cc.

Our old vet would give metaclopramide to take home and give by mouth twice a day for a week and this has always helped in the past. New vet says if she's producing poops they can't give more metaclopramide and that I just need to make sure she's getting lots of fluids and fiber, which I think I am.

It's just weird to me that Nikko is eating so much on her own and acting totally normal but nothing comes out naturally. Please, PLEASE help! Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1408716385.756750.jpg

I think you need to find a different vet. Giving steroids should really be a last resort med in very serious cases of illness, as it lowers a rabbit immune system. I have never heard of giving it to a rabbit in a common case of stasis. More often meloxicam is given(and more to give at home), and in some more severe cases an opiate pain med may be prescribed. It is also normal to send a motility med to be given at home, until the condition stabilizes. Also an antibiotic like baytril doesn't need to be given unless there is evidence of a bacterial problem. The new vet will need to investigate why your bun isn't pooping normally, even though she is eating well now.

Take a look at these lists and hopefully you will find a better vet near you. You will also want to have your xrays and info sent over to the new vet.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I agree with what Jbun said about getting a new vet.

Until you find out what is going on with your rabbits gut exactly, I would syringe some extra fluids, 15 to 20ml to help keep the gut hyrdrated since it seems like a gut slowdown of some sort.

There's a theory that gut slow downs can be caused by dehydration, especially if, for whatever reason, the rabbit was not drinking or getting enough fluids during a time of molt, because rabbits need a hydrated gut to move the hair through. So, if a rabbit isn't eating or Pooing enough, the first and easiest safest thing to do is syringe some water or pedialyte (you can find homemade pedialyte recipes online, best if its low sugar). So, even if you don't know exactly what is going on, I would syringe some extra fluids, it can't hurt and it should help to keep the gut hydrated.

When my rabbit had a bout of early GI stasis the vet had me do Critical Care feedings, but I added some pain med (Metacam that I had from his neuter) and gas drops. Then when he wasn't getting better I asked her for some Reglan. It took a couple of weeks for him to get totally better. I agree with what everyone else has said, find a new vet, try syringe feeding fluids, and I think you should just keep doing what you are doing with the gas drops and Critical Care until he starts pooping at other times on his own. Have you every used Bene-bac? I used that toward the end of my bunny's illness and it seemed to help him get back to normal. I hope Nikko feels better soon!:flowerskiss:

Thank you for all the advice! I will keep up with fluids, critical care and gas drops. I also started giving her Probios (horse fiber treats) and that seems to be helping too. Currently searching for a new vet. I've got a few places to call on Monday.

Bville, what is Bene-bac? Is that something you can get from a pet store?

yep, bene-bac seems to be available at pet stores in the US and Uk. I'm in NZ so I buy mine in bulk form Ebay. Its also on Amazon.

Bene-bac is a probiotic for animals. It restores the good bacteria to their digestive system that may have been lost after an illness or antibiotic treatment. I used the gel and it tasted very good to my bunny. He ate it off a veggie leaf.

Latest posts

Back