Pellet/Hay Debates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am self-debating about the brand(s) of pellets and hay I should be feeding my bunny.

For pellets, the 3 brands I am considering are Sweet Meadow (local state brand), Oxbow, and Blue Seal (show deluxe). Currently, he is on the Blue Seal (and frickin' loves it), but it's because his breeder had him on it basically his entire life and suggested I keep him on it. One problem I'm having with Blue Seal is that it's not sold in regular pet stores, and I'm not sure exactly where to get it once his current supply runs out. One thing that I like about it is it's papaya ingredient, which is very good for wool digestion. I hear great things about Sweet Meadow, as well as Oxbow. A trustworthy pet store owner has told me marvelous things about Sweet Meadow, and I assume he'll love the Oxbow pellets being that he is in love with the Oxbow hay. What do you guys think?

For hay, I currently feed him Oxbow western timothy hay, as mentioned before, and he LOVES it. He definitely prefers it over the Kaytee brand I was previously feeding him. One problem I have with the Oxbow, however, is its price on the market -- it doesn't come cheap! Are there any other brands sold online that are also of high quality, but are a bit cheaper? Also, what is the difference between first cut, second cut, and third cut hay? Is one better than the other?

Thank you in advance! :peace

I feed Oxbow pellets, but hay from a farmer. With 9 rabbits, oxbow hay would be very expensive very quickly. The pellets aren't something I am going to compromise on, and there aren't a lot of good choices here.

The Blue Seal should be available at a local feed store. A lot of feeds may have store locators so you can find a store near you that sells it. Otherwise, try calling some feed stores and ask if they sell it. If the breeder lives close to you, you can ask them where they buy it as well. One disadvantage to feed store foods is that they come in large bags, so you might not use it all before it goes bad.

As far as hay goes, you don't need to feed oxbow. Pretty much any timothy or grass hay is fine, it just comes down to what your rabbit likes. Some feed stores sell hay, and it's usually a lot cheaper that pet store hay. If he really does like Oxbow, try buying bigger bags or the boxes and it does save money.

If I could afford to, I would feed oxbow. Ask the pet stores around you if they can special order the sweet meadow for you. If it's a smaller pet store, there's usually something they can do.

I also use hay from a farmer, $5 for a 25 lb bale. I got one that's a mixture of grasses and a little alfalfa. I got third cut hay. It's the best cut as first cut has a lot of weeds and stems in it. It's suggested for rabbits second or third cut only, and make sure it's never gotten wet and stored correctly

I meant special order the blue seal. Whichever pellet he is already on.

I feed my guy Oxbow pellets. He's still eating the young rabbit brand. I order my hay from smallpetselect.com. really good stuff. I like that I can buy a box and split it with my son so Jovi gets it too. It's every bit as quality as oxbow if not more, and might be a little cheaper.

I highly recommend Blue Seal. We've been feeding it for years and the rabbits love it. Is the breeder close to you? You could ask where they buy their food. Usually it's available at feed mills or farm supply stores, that kind of place. It's a lot cheaper than Oxbow, and still a quality pellet.

Latest posts

Back