Looking to Fix Anger Issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola123

Reaction score
For the two months i've had Lola, she's been sweet as ever 99% of the time. But, Lola has some anger issues going on some of the time.

Let me explain:

When I refill Lola's litter, she seems to like the corn cob. Therefore, she eats it. I had been advised by a pet store employee that the rabbit should not ingest its litter, so when i filled it yesterday night and she started to munch, I picked her up and put her away from it. This happened 3 times.

Which i regret.

It seems as if Lola has gotten REALLLYYY annoyed by this. She started going CRAZY. she started biting everything, thrashing, tossing her good bowls, and took the water bottle off the hook. The then started digging and throwing all of the litter out of the litter, and then just sat in the corner.

By the end of it, seemed like a tornado had passed through her cage.

I feel bad now... but all I really did it pick her up and putting her away?

This is really awkward behaviour. She even tried to bite me :ph34r2

why are these sudden outbreaks happening? What should i do to get her away from eating the litter when there is perfectly good hay and pellets laying around?

By the way, she only eats it when the litter is fresh, with no poo or pee. Just the corncob, which she seems to enjoy.
Also, this corncob is scented.

Get her FIXED!!!!

No other way around.

I have had ten pet rabbits- fixing them is the ONLY way to make them behave; just like fogs, just like cats.

Last edited:
Whoa there. We don't know if Lola's been spayed, it wasn't mentioned. Unfixed bunnies do tend to have higher territorial aggression and feistiness overall, but there are fixed bunnies who just naturally have the personality of lil brats. Case in point - *glares at own bunny Merlin*

To start with, it's not good that she's eating corn cob litter. Consider changing the litter you use! I use kiln-dried wood pellets, which are used in horse stalls and very cheap to buy in bulk. Also rabbit-safe if she happens to like chewing on them a little. Most times, putting in a fresh handful of hay frequently will encourage her to fill up on that.

Her messing up her cage could be territorial aggression at you touching her, but it could also be due to boredom. Does she have chews and toys in her cage? Do you let her out to exercise much?

I also use the wood pellets (for pellet stoves) for litter in my litter boxes. Works extremely well and absorbs odor. I change it twice a week. It's also a good idea to add hay to the litter box as it encourages them to use their box. I like to have the hay be above the box, but make it so they have to get into it to eat the hay. It keeps the hay cleaner at the same time makes them use the box.

Since you've only had her for two months, my first question is to ask how old she is. It does sound a bit like hormonal behaviour and if she was young (8 weeks or so) when you got her, about now is right would you would start seeing that. If so, spaying her will help curb the behaviour.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge on working with bitey bunnies.

Thanks. I will switch to wood pellets .

When I got Lola she was 1 and a half years old. A full grown Lionhead/lop bunny, weighing 4-5 pounds ATM. Right now, i suspect she should be 1 year 7 months.

Just yesterday I had emailed the original owner and she said that Lola was NOT fixed yet. Will get her spayed asap at the vet.

Normally when I put my hand inside the cage, she sits down in a relaxed position, all legs out, and I put my hand in and pet her on her forehead, between her ears, on her cheeks, which she enjoys. When I fill her food, she runs out of her cage and gets all happy, and started licking me with affection.
but it seems as if when i try to CORRECT behaviours, she doesn't want to listen, like a stubborn child. :(

Also, Lola has many toys in her cage. Most homemade, some store bought. And, for the day part, she is outside her cage, roaming the house like a cat or dog. i only put her back at night.
She is not a destructive bunny outside of the home. Has never tried to bite or scratch at anything in our house.

one time event?

you know that rabbits have their own moods just like people do right?

if your best friend got in a snit... would you be wanting to "fix" her right away? Wanting to do anything to modify her behaviour? Of course not. you'd let her get over her hissy fit and then get on with life.

Your rabbit got in a snit.

Change the bedding, allow her to be the rabbit that she is BEFORE you consider (based on what appears to be a one time event) subject her to major surgery. You've had her for two months and she's been a sweet rabbit.

Don't be so quick to jump on the "get them all fixed" gun. Rabbits can and do die during surgery. it shouldn't be an automatic "DO THIS" thing. Many rabbit behaviours can be easily handled by watching and studying your rabbit and then working within those behaviours to help them chill out. Seriously.

I agree. If she's 1 1/2 yrs old then she's pretty much settled down now. Fixing a rabbit doesn't solve all problems. You can either change her litter or put a grate on top of the litter box so she can't get to the litter.

I agree, at a year and half, it likely wouldn't be hormonal changes causing it, it is simply possible that she was in a bit of a mood. Bandit gets in them sometimes, mostly when I move his stuff around to clean, he doesn't bite, but you can tell he's annoyed that I'm messing with his things. I find it adorable, lol.

Having said that, you could still get her fixed if you wanted as it does reduce the risk of cancer, but the surgery also poses risks (as any surgery does).

When I fill her food, she runs out of her cage and gets all happy, and started licking me with affection.
but it seems as if when i try to CORRECT behaviours, she doesn't want to listen, like a stubborn child. :(

In my opinion, all rabbits are like stubborn children, lol.

In my opinion, all rabbits are like stubborn children, lol.

Couldn't agree more. Read once that having a bunny is like having a child who's permanently in the Terrible Two's age, and that's exactly what it's like.

A rabbit under 2 is still a good candidate for behavioural improvements via spay in my opinion, I'd hesitate to spay a senior rabbit but she's still young and may not be quite set in her ways yet.

perhaps you need to "talk bunny" when you correct behaviours. Look up the website "the language of lagomorphs" might help you learn to talk to her a bit better. :)

Getting her fixed may help but its not a 100% thing. I fixed my bad rabbit and it just took the edge off. She still boxes, growls, and in general is just a bad rabbit. Sounds to me like Lola is just throwing a good ole rabbity temper tantrum. The hard part is you dont want her to get upset about her litter box and not use it. Is it possible to change her litter to something like the stove pellets? The corn cob can get stuck in her gut and make her very ill. Or save some of her poos or a bit of the soiled litter and move it into the fresh litter in hopes she wont eat it. I'd honestly just change her litter rather than take the risk of an impaction.

*some how just realized there was a second page and I'm late to the party. Just repeated everyone at this point!

Last edited:
Food, hutch and personal space
- Be aware that unspayed females can be very particular about thier personal space and dont always like their belongings being moved around. With does coming into sexual maturity i find it helps to distract them with strokes or some greens before taking away their food bowls for cleaning/refilling or putting them out in their runs so they dont have to tollerate my interference. If you talk to your rabbit, introduce yourself and be polite, many rabbits are not too fussed about you touching their stuff. Possesive behaviour mostly occurs in hormonal does in my experience.

Don't know If this will help :embarrassed:

Back