Getting apartment sprayed for fleas, rabbit safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
We've had a growing suspicion for a while now that Odin, our rescued cat, brought in some flea hitchhikers with him during his stay last month. Bubs and I have been getting bites recently, and he wants to get a flea sprayer guy in to kill all the bugs.

From what I understand after they spray the whole place you're not allowed to vacuum for ten days after to let the chemicals kill all the eggs and whatnot. Naturally I'm concerned for the bunnies. Would they have to leave the house for ten days, or would it be reasonably safe for them to come back and live on the sprayed carpet once the spraying's done? I can't find any bunny-specific info online.

And I plan to give the buns some Revolution flea treatment afterward to be extra safe, do I give the full cat dose or portion it smaller?

Thanks in advance :)

What chemical are they spraying? If it's permethrin or pyrethrin I believe it's toxic to rabbits, from some of the things I've read but I've also heard it's safe from a pest control guy though I don't know how much that can be trusted.

I'm not sure, we'll have to ask. Supposedly it's safe for babies, but bunnies are obviously much smaller and might tend to lick the carpet more. I'm worried, I don't really know of any pet boarding facilities near me that I'd trust the bunnies to for several days. :S

After talking to my holistic vet, her opinion was that the best and safest way to get rid of fleas was to vacuum daily, new bag each time and use a flea comb twice a day. Now I don't know how realistic this is because I've not had to do it myself. Good luck, I hope you find a safe solution.

Thanks! I'd prefer to do that too, the infestation is pretty mild to begin with, but the reason we're going for the whole shebang is because my boyfriend is extremely bug-phobic and he just needs that peace of mind to know everything's dead. Sigh!

I don't think I would let my rabbits on the carpet when it has pesticides on it. You have to consider that they would get it on their feet and then lick it off. If they were in pens at least until the carpet is vacuumed it might be okay.

No, no, no, get them out of there. At least for a couple weeks while it's working

Not sure how realistic the combing and vacuum only method is. It just takes one flea, or one egg, to survive to generate another 1000 eggs and fleas.
If they were my rabbits, I would take them out of the house for the ten days, just to be save. Maybe you have friends who could take them in for that time? Just make sure THEY [the rabbits, not the friends :)] are checked for fleas first, because rabbits get infested too.
By the way, you can make a flea trap to check a room for infestation: set up a large, low rim bowl of water with a drop of dawn dishwashing liquid on the carpet with a lamp above it and darken the room. If you have fleas in the room you should see a few in the water bowl the next day (they are attracted to light and will jump towards it). It doesn't get rid of the fleas, but at least you know if there are any.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back