I need a bunny translator.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zweee

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding some of the behaviours of my rabbit.

I'll start with a bit of background:
Two and a half years ago I rescued a female rabbit from a noisy household full of toddlers and dogs. I don't know much about Luna. The woman said she was a Rex cross but I see no evidence of that. I think she looks more like a Lop cross that ears haven't flopped. She has had at least one litter but I've had her spayed. The woman said she was 8 months old which would make her 3ish now but I have no idea if that's true. She could be older. She did have a friend at one point but she is very independent and never bonded to him. Right now she is an only rabbit and due to my living situation that isn't likely to change.

Luna is not timid at all but she has always been aloof. She is very well behaved with the carpet and my furniture and she always uses her litterbox. The gets free range of most of the apartment as long as I am home.

The following is a list of behaviours I'm curious about:

Luna has always shied away from my hands but in the last 4 months she occasionally will let me rub her cheek and ears. When I do this she crouches low with her ears straight back against her back. She looks like she is tolerating it, not enjoying it.

Sometimes when I scratch her cheek she will completely flop the ear on that side. On any other animal I would take this as a sign of pleasure but she never leans into my hand or asks for affection. It could just be a reflex.

Sometimes when I offer her my hand she will run her chin against it. I've read that this is 'marking' but I don't know if this is good or bad. I take it as a sign of dominance because she is quite dominant and confident overall.

She likes to lay down in an area where she can see me. She'll completely flop out and close her eyes but if I move from one room to another she will move too.

So I guess my biggest question is "Am I making headway with this rabbit?" She seems like a very happy rabbit. She likes to binky, she flops out on the carpet with her head on the floor and her feet spread out. I'm okay with her never 'liking me' but I get the sense that she is trying to reach out and I'm just a stupid human that doesn't speak bunny and does all these offensive thing all the time.

It sounds to me that she likes you just fine. Rabbits don't really respond in the same way a cat or dog does.

Why do you think she isn't liking her head rubs? From your description she sounds like she enjoys it. Crouching low and ears back can mean a rabbit is relaxed and enjoying being petted. Unless she is bug eyed and breathing rapidly(not from exercise), then she probably isn't. Usually if my rabbits don't want to be petted, they will just hop away. They never stick around for pets unless it is what they want. They also won't necessarily lean into being petted either, even if they are liking it. Some of mine will if I'm scratching in a spot they like, usually cheeks, but most of the time a rabbit will just settle into a bun loaf to get head rubs, or sometimes flatten their head on the floor. And often if a rabbit is enjoying the head rubs, you will hear them tooth purring, like a light chattering of the teeth.

If she's not coming to you and head bumping you for affection, it could be that she's just not to that level of trust yet, even though she is willing to accept it when you approach her. Some rabbits can just take a very long time to build that trust, but it sounds like you've made excellent progress with her.

Chin rubbing is actually a good indication, even if she is just doing it for dominance. If she didn't like you she wouldn't do it.

With her moving when you do, some rabbits are just more easily startled by movement than others, even if they feel safe and comfortable in their home. Or if you mean she is following you into the room where you are going, that is certainly a good sign of interest in what you are doing.

All in all, she sounds pretty happy to me. If you need any info on ways to further bond with her, this is a good article.
http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back