No, bunny. The walls are not for eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NekoOtome

Reaction score
So I would really love to let my rabbit have free roam of my little apartment, but he has a weird chewing issue. On our first test run, I left the room for just a minute and when I came back he was chewing on the lining of the wall! I still let him out, but he can only play under constant supervision, lest he do some redecorating that could cost a security deposit or more importantly his well-being. Do you guys have any advice on discouraging chewing where he isn't supposed to? I've tried toys and cardboard tubes to distract him but he still goes for the wall.

I've noticed that rabbits chew on things that are "sticking out" so to speak, kind of like how most of us can't resist picking off a hangnail. Is the wall rough or have any parts/wallpaper sticking out? Maybe it smells good there? Try putting a heavy item in front of the place he's trying to chew? You could even try to secure a piece of wood or tree branch there so he can chew on that instead of the wall.

I've noticed that rabbits chew on things that are "sticking out" so to speak, kind of like how most of us can't resist picking off a hangnail. Is the wall rough or have any parts/wallpaper sticking out? Maybe it smells good there? Try putting a heavy item in front of the place he's trying to chew? You could even try to secure a piece of wood or tree branch there so he can chew on that instead of the wall.

You know how there's always a sort of plastic (or carpet) lining decoration thing where the wall meets the floor? That's his favorite thing to go after. I could try putting down a gate blocking that part in the room he's in, but it would be impractical to try and block off all the walls in my apartment. I can definitely see the appeal though from what you said

The spray is actually called Bitter Apple spray. You can find knock off versions of it. It can be found almost anywhere, from Walmart to pet stores and of course, online.

You could also try putting a piece of packing tape over the place where he's chewing. Just make sure you get it on there tight.

My bunny likes to chew the wood baseboard in our house. I took white vinegar and rubbed them all down with it. He hasn't chewed them since. You can't smell the vinegar and it doesn't damage the wall, it actually cleans the walls :) I will reapply soon but it has been about a month and still no chewing on the baseboards!

Latest posts

Back