Feeding Instructions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys!

In thinking about how to care for the bunny I'll be getting in less than a week, I had previously obtained young rabbit pellets, so I plan to use that for the time being until the bunny has grown. But the questions is: how much do I feed it?

I've read somewhere and have heard many times that you should feed your rabbit a quarter amount of pellets for every 5 pounds. However, I do not know the weight of the rabbit. I am still awaiting a response from the breeder as to how much it weighs, but the only thing known is that it is 9 weeks old, and I don't know if that's a factor. Is there a way to measure an amount of pellets just by eyesight without knowing the weight of the rabbit yet?

:sofa:

As far as I know, you can actually free feed juvenile animals, and rabbits are no exception. However, I'd probably want to put a cap on the pellets too - IMO pellets should be a very small portion of the diet, rather than the bulk of it.

Your best bet is going to be to ask the breeder how much he or she is currently feeding the rabbit, and go from there. If the breeder is free feeding, or for whatever reason can't tell you exactly how much, then just give your bun like 1/4 cup of pellets (when you know when he/she is hungry) and see how much disappears in a half hour to an hour. Feed more or less as needed.

Young rabbits, under 6 months, can be free fed pellets. However, you may still want to measure the amount so you know what he is eating and can monitor it. Some rabbits will only eat pellets and ignore the hay, so will need to have pellets cut back.

A lionhead is going to be on the smaller side as an adult, usually around 3-4 pounds, so would need about 1/4 cup per day of pellets. You can get a 1/8 measuring cup (usually for measuring coffee), or use a tablespoon measuring spoon (2 scoops is 1/8 of a cup). This allows for easier measuring to do 2 feedings a day.

Any guidelines are just guidelines. You may need to adjust for your rabbit, some need more and others less. Babies tend to need more since they are growing, but should not get fat or have poop issues. Just monitor the rabbit and adjust as needed.

My little stinker is eating a cup of pellets a day! He gets free choice for now. He also eats lots of hay and two small salads of parsley cilantro and other veges. He's a big bun though. An english lop, and growing by hops and bounds. 3 months old.

You need to free-feed alfalfa-based pellets and hay for the first six months. Gradually cut back to a regular amount based on weight -- quarter cup per five pounds doesn't sound like enough-- but keep free feeding hay. Give some fresh veggies once the lil guy is a bit older, but keep it below a cup a day.

A quarter a cup per five pounds I believe is a worldwide standard, so I'll stick to that. I don't know what the Blue Seal pellets are based on (alfalfa, Timothy) -- the only thing I know about it is that it is show quality, but can be high in fat and protein. But as long as I can free feed it, I will monitor how much it eats and make any necessary changes!

Latest posts

Back