Bamboo litter safe for my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieHinds

Reaction score
Hey there everyone, recently I purchased Fresh Results cat litter. It's called Eco-scoop bamboo cat litter, they're pellets and are totally scent free, dye free etc. But I'm bot sure if they're safe for my rabbit. My rabbit nibbles on her litter and I don't know if this litter is safe for her or not. Please let me know and help me out! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1406871791.465684.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1406871816.291452.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1406871834.140903.jpg

Wow I didnt know that litter like this existed! I don't know alot about rabbits and bamboo, but I've read a little on it before and some people get bamboo chews for their rabbits so it should be safe. Like with any other litter though you should watch your rabbit with it and make sure she doesn't treat it like food!

It it my understanding that some bamboo species are safe, and others are not. It's hard to know exactly what species of bamboo go into a pellet like that. You can also get compressed pine pellets exactly like that which are safe for bunnies :)

The bigger question is, is it clumping litter? Any kind of litter can have clumping agent added to it, and every kind of litter should tell you on the package if it is clumping or not. You should avoid clumping litters for rabbits anyway, just in case, but if you have a rabbit which likes to nibble litter, avoid it like the plague. You do not want that stuff clumping in your rabbit's digestive tract.

Personally, I'd go with wood pellets for litter. It's usually much cheaper, and IMO, is very effective when it comes to rabbit urine odors. (And your bunny won't die if he nibbles on it.)

I don't see anything on the bag about clumping, and when i did use it, it just absorbed the pee.. For now I'm using hay as her litter, and I might try out the cedar pellets. My boyfriend uses them for his rabbit and it seems to work really well. Thank you all for the help!

Definitely don't use the cedar pellets. Cedar litters contain oils that are harmful to rabbits and other small animals. Best to stick with known safe ones like kiln dried pine and paper litters, aspen litter, or kaytee granule bedding. Hay is fine but doesn't really absorb pee much at all. It does better as a soft layer over an absorbent litter. Some people will use it with newspaper under to absorb pee, but it does have to be changed quite frequently and the layer of hay has to be thick enough to keep the bun out of the pee.
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/litter.shtml

Latest posts

Back