Help! Unknown illness!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiddlesKenway

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't made a post in awhile as I have been overwhelmed with taking care of an eminciated horse I've rescued.

Anyway I needed to know urgently if rabbits can have Stomach Calm as I have no infacol. It's too late to get a vet involved and I need it to relax the symptoms.

Do you mean gas or bloat? If it is actual bloat where the belly is noticeably distended, you need to get your bun into a vet immediately! Bloat is an emergency situation, many times fatal, and a rabbit only has a chance if got to a vet right away and correct treatment given. The vet may have to put a tube down the throat to relieve the pressure in the stomach.

If it is a bit of gas, infacol can be tried and sometimes helps, but without knowing what symptoms your rabbit is having, it's hard to know what to advise. If your rabbit isn't eating and it's been more than 12 hours, you need to get your rabbit to a vet.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=10385

I already know about gas, bloat, and ect. and her symtoms don't comply with bloat; at first I thought maybe stasis but it doesn't seem to fit that well.

I exhibit and breed rabbits and have never had an issue like this occur in one of my rabbits.

She was eating and drink. Although not much, she seemed to be constipated and very uncomfortable few times she tried to flop but it clearly hurt her too much to want to. Wormed her as that was the only thing I had available that would help make her go to the toilet, she's considerably improved since and did a lot of poo for one rabbit. Not normal ones a little soft and deformed (not cecaltrophes) but she's eating more today and moving around a lot more. I'm holding off the vets until I have to take my cat back to get her stitches removed but will if things change and she stops getting better I will take her. When you have as many rabbit as I do, you have to treat it in all ways you know before taking them to the vet. I haven't lost a rabbit yet with this tactic.

Also wormed everyone with her as I had just done the horses and now it's just the cats and dogs that need to be done which I will be doing later on today.

She is an indoor rabbit so her having worms is highly unlikely with my cats also being indoors. My vet told me indoor pets rarely need worming more then twice a year and I've as shocking as it may sound never had a rabbit get worms.

Back