getting bun neutered soon what do do about going in litterbox (contaminating stitches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherv

Reaction score
I'm getting my rabbit neutered in September. He goes in a cat litter box with pine pellets (look like stove pellets). Should I lay something over the pellets? I was told my vet receptionist I should and they usually recommend it but it seems like whether you lay something over the bedding or not they be sitting/hop on their poop or pees, once they've done their business. The vest said depending on the rabbit and skin type he may do an internal, external stitch or both and he may or may not use the kind of stitching that doesn't have to be removed but will go away on it's own...depending on the rabbit skin, elasticity etc. I'm just enivisioning his new stitches resting in poop or pee. I don't let his litter box get full the the point he sitting in poops anyways but after he neutered should I leave the pine pellets in and sift out the poops dirty pellets every 30 minutes or something or lay paper or something over the pellets...but then he eat the paper, rearrange, throw it out I imagine. What did you do with your rabbit and their litter box habits/cleanliness after spay/neuter:headsmack

I just made sure I scooped out all the poops and peed-in litter every few hours and replaced it with fresh litter. I also did a full clean of the litterbox and cage twice a week just to be safe. Both my boys made it through fine!

The important thing is to make sure he doesn't tear his stitches by running, jumping, or biting them.

He has a large x pen to run in...after his stitches should I fold it up into a smaller pin so he doesn't hop around to much? It's like 4'x4' long and wide enough I can sit or stand in it comfortably. will he have to much space after his stitches?

It is best that he is confined to a small space for 1-2 weeks after the surgery. 4'x4' should be fine, I don't think he can really run around much in that space. Just keep him in it. You may also want to take out things he can hop up on, like cardboard boxes or toy houses, things like that.

I cleaned Boomer's litter tray just once a day. i use paper pellets and any wee gets soaked up right away. poop isn't sticky so didn't see how the hard round dry poops would hurt him in anyway.
I did however give his cage a very good clean out before he came home from the vets and kept an eye the hay and blankets didn't get weed on or wet (which they didn't) hardest part was keeping him confined for so long! and not being able to have lots of cuddles!
Boomer doesn't tend to hang out in his litter box so i didn't see it a problem when he got neutered. Unless your bunny sleeps in it or spends heaps of time in the litter box then i don't see why you need to clean more than once a day. But then again i'm no expert. just my experience with it all. :)

I had Shida in a plastic tub for like 3 weeks (she pulled her stitches out after one week, really uncommon tho so don't stress) but it just made her recovery time almost double. I was changing her litter out every morning and night and that seemed fine. She pretty much only had enough room for her litter box, her bowel and to flop which ended up being good cause she couldn't binky and rip out stitches that way but she was pretty cranky about being locked up tho, every time I opened her box to pat her and feet her she would stamp her foot and turn her back but she is over it now.

~Shida (and Shell)

Maybe instead of cleaning out all the poos every hour you could drop more layers of shavings or paper over top.

They do sell litter boxes with plastic grates on top, maybe that was what your vet had in mind.

pan.jpg

Latest posts

Back