Newbie I need alot of Rabbit info

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunBun

Reaction score
Hi Everyone BinkyBunBun Here.
I'm new to this forum and I might gain lots of rabbit info but for now I need tons of it. I'm planning to buy a rabbit ( We don't have shelters) and I need all I can get. :)

We dont have books about pets sold here but we only rely on the internet. So I went on this forum promoted by Erinhamsters and its a big hit! I did alot of reading in the past 5 days. And I wanted to ask questions so I signed up. And I think this forum is great.

I just wanna ask about : What type of litter, Diet, Colours and breeds. Can you rabbit lovers give me what I breed I should get for starters? BTW I'm Eleven

Hi and welcome to the forum, I have a Netherlands Dwarf named Shida and she is 9 months old and recently desexed.
We use Breeder Choice litter or I think it's called Yesterday's News in America but it's a newspaper based litter so if it gets chewed it's not an issue.
Shida gets an unlimited supply of hay, we are onto Timothy Hay (this is for adult bunnies) now after a slow transition from Alfalfa Hay (use only for young bunnies), Shida also gets a small handful of dark leafy greens for dinner and a small handful of oxbow pellets in a treat ball in the mornings.
I don't think colours really matter if you fall in love with the rabbit but Shida colour is Black Otter and as I said she is a Netherlands Dwarf.
Shida is my first rabbit but I have owned rats in the past, there are lots of people out there that will tell you that their rabbit is the best breed because of various reason, Shida is very active which I like, I get a good laugh about of her antics when she is running around on the floor, but from what I have read Lops and larger breeds tend to not be as active.
And remember rabbits are not really a cuddly type of pet most don't like being picked, Shida will come up for a pat and jump on my lap when I am in my chair but she doesn't like feeling trapped.

Sorry about the long post, I hope it helps,
~Shell and ShidaImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1406339889.048412.jpg

Hiya and welcome binkybunbun :)
I have a lionhead named Ivy she's 12 weeks old now and she's quite a character, the only thing about lionheads is they have long hair so once or twice a day you heed to brush it so it dose not get matted. As for litre I use yesterday's news, it's a newspaper bedding which you can find in any walmart and usually any petstore, it's a newspaper bedding so if bunny decides to give It a taste no problem it won't hurt her.
Colour of rabbit should not matter because the colour dose not change the rabbits personality once you find a rabbit you like the colour is not important.
I recommend looking up breeds on the computer and reshearing them all and then finding a few you like and looking more into them.

I'll throw my hat in for the bigger buns, I have 2. A Flemish giant mix and New Zealand mix. They are very active, but they're still young yet, I love watching them, I use wood pellets for litter and they do very well with the urine smell.

They also get a half cup of pellets in the morning and may veggies at night song with unlimited hay. I purchased a bale of hay from a local farmer for give dollars, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever had, my Flemish eats so much hay! I also do a no pellet day on Sunday and they get leafy greens instead picked from the garden, lettuce, kale, spinach, dandelions, clover, raspberries and carrot tops are all things I've tried with my rabbits and they love them all!

I love their attitude, I've had smaller dwarf rabbits in the past and I feel like the bigger ones are much more friendly and less kindly to bite, but I also got these 2 from breeders, and my dwarfs were from a pet store, so if i have a suggestion, look into local breeders or if you have a 4h program in your area, or show rabbits, the rabbits from those are handled do regularly, many are very friendly. :welcome1

Eta: cages. Really it's up to you about cages, both of mine are in dog kennels and get out at least 3 hours every day. They can jump around in there and stretch out easily. You want to make sure any cage or hutch you use is going to give them plenty of space to move around and stretch their legs

20140720_182233.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back