How to have a pet rabbit rabbit as old as Trixie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyman666

RIP little Trixie
Reaction score
Trixie is eleven years old. She has been a great friend to me. She is spunky, but well-tempered and very sweet.

How has she lasted so long?

1) She is neutered. No sex organs means no reproductive troubles and not aggressive in the least.

2) She lives indoors. No exposure to extreme weather, no exposure to predators; just healthy over all.

3) Lots of loving times with her humans. We are bonded, plain and simple.

4) Regular vet visits with an HRS-trained vet. This is important, as many vets don't know simple things like Amoxocillin is NOT suitable for rabbits, for example. Finding a vet should be FIRST before finding a rabbit.

5) Lots of play time. Trix loves to throw things.

6) Plenty of Timothy hay. Trix gets her teeth worn down with the stuff. She loves her hay and GRABS it from me when I give it to her.

7) Acceptance of rabbit behaviour. Trix loves to box and grunt, so we turn it into a game called "kill the doo rag". She also plays "the brush toss". We have so much fun.

8) Bunny proof where she plays. Chewed cords do nothing for your sanity or your rabbit's health. Wrap your cords with food-grade tubing.

9) Make certain your bunny exercises. Play chase, play kill the doo rag; just get her active!!!

10) Rabbits are not suitable pets for small children. Children can be rough on a rabbit. Remember, as well, that ultimately a pet rabbit is YOUR responsibility. If your child gets bored, you need to step up. You should want the rabbit just as much IF NOT MORE than your kid. Rabbits can live as long as dogs and cats if PROPERLY CARED FOR. Remember me mentioning Trixie's age?

I hope this helps answer a few questions about happy and healthy long-lived rabbits.

Thanks for posting this, very good advice for healthy bunnies :)

Wow 11 years you must be doing something right, I will defs try and do all these things with Miss Ivy thanx

I just want to help. One of the simplest things is gut stasis. Thank G'd Trix hasn't experienced this thus far; but untrained vets can end up killing your rabbit inadvertenly with the wrong treatment. This is one of many factors that make it impertinent to find an HRS-trained vet.

Latest posts

Back