Naaaaaaaame Thaaaaaaat Breeeeeeed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyAcresHomestead

Reaction score
So, I picked up a pair of "French Angoras" the other day, out of horrendous living conditions, shaved them up and gave them baths, ear mite treatment, and vitamins.

They are very very skinny, and I'm not sure of age, the "owner" [I use quotations because if I could beat this dirtbag within an inch of his life and force him to live in the same conditions his rabbits were in, without going to jail, I would] said they were 12 weeks old....seems impossible because the doe was already matted to the skin, she was also covered in half-healed bite marks :( She's currently covered in blukote antibiotic to help heal her up.

Anyway, are there any other angora experts on this forum? The ears and head shape match, but the size doesn't. They came with papers, but who knows if they even go with these rabbits, I need to do some more research.

So, I am wondering if the malnutrition has stunted their growth or if they are just mixes? Any opinions on breed is welcome!

sxoioi.jpg

2a2jq9.jpg

2lvlm5v.jpg

I don't breed angoras but have been around a few. They both look like ones to me. I don't understand the size question. Are they just a pound or two off of a normal frenchies weight or more than that?

They do look like French Angoras to me, at least from the pictures. Both look on the younger side, but probably older than 12 weeks. You may just need to wait for their coats to grow out and for them to mature more to really get a good idea.

Also keep in mind that purebred doesn't mean well bred. If someone isn't breeding to the standard or with a goal, that can affect the rabbits they breed so they don't fit the standard as well.
Even with mixes, it can be hard to tell what might be in them. Some look like a purebred, others don't really look like anything specific.
A pedigree isn't too hard to fake either, some people might use the names of known rabbits from established rabbitries, or just make it up. Some even just the wrong pedigree for a rabbit. A pedigree is really only as good as the person writing it. It does suck, but some people just suck.

Yeah, the forging of papers crossed my mind [I had written a longer post but hit the wrong button and deleted it....whoops] I haven't had time to research too far into it and see.

I'll have to get some measurements on them, but they are both what I feel is, too long for their appx ages and the buck [the orange fawn] just doesn't have the length on the wool that I would expect to see. I only shaved a bit on his belly so that's the length that was prior to me getting him. The doe had a longer coat but not the quality of wool I would expect to see, very fine and missing the guard hairs that I love [for grooming purposes] about the frenchies.

I was trying to compare pictures of my last litter, who are about 12 weeks old now and they are much different...

This is Lady Penelope Hare
29kxumx.jpg

Also, yeah, the weight. They are both still under 2lbs....and that seems pretty small to me...I was just curious if anyone knew what they should weigh.

My French angora Doe weighed more than 5 lbs at 14 weeks. The buck definitely looks mixed- he's not nearly as fluffy as he should be!

I wouldn't necessarily doubt their age, they do look young to me. But it's difficult to guess age and history when you have nothing to go off of. 12 weeks is definitely old enough to matt to the skin. I have had a number of wool breeds (though not specifically French Angoras), and their baby coats were NASTY to work with. Babies required a lot more grooming than adults (Jersey Woolies and Fuzzy Lops). I'd imagine angora breeds go through a similar phase.

i just have one problem with the housing of the rabbits:

The wire squared bottom could hurt the feet and give them sore hocks. please change the floors

i just have one problem with the housing of the rabbits:

The wire squared bottom could hurt the feet and give them sore hocks. please change the floors

Wire flooring is the best option for wool breeds and can be utilized for a number of short-hair breeds as well. Many rabbit breeds have heavily furred feet and balanced body structure, making their weight distribution fairly even. Wire is the most sanitary flooring option for those breeds, especially angora breeds. Their wool is ruined by other flooring options.

There are a handful of breeds that require solid flooring due to structural reasons. In these cases, the wire may make the rabbits more susceptible to sore hocks. But wire doesn't cause sore hocks.

Latest posts

Back