Rabbit spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseynicholson93

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just dropped my little girl off at the clinic and she is being spayed later this afternoon. I'm so nervous, I want the surgery and recovery to go as smoothly as possible! If anyone has any last minute tips, advice, or knows anything really important that I should ask or find out about from the vet upon her discharge I would be grateful!

Make sure they give you pain meds to take home, usually meloxicam suspension. Keep her warm, as anesthesia will lower their body temp. Keep encouraging her to eat. With my buns, their usual leafy greens were the first thing they would eat. If your bun isn't eating or not eating much by morning, give your vet a call as you will probably need to start syringe feeding. I don't usually wait til then though, as I get nervous about them not eating that night and will start to syringe feed if they haven't eaten anything at all. Keep a close eye on the incision and if your bun seems too interested in grooming the area, as you don't want any chewing of the incision going on. And restrict her area and activity for at least 7-10 days, as this is an invasive surgery and you don't want her getting too active and pulling any sutures open before they have had a chance to heal.

Most of the time there aren't any issues and the bun is back to their usual self in no time, but these are just some things that could possibly go wrong and to keep an eye on.

The best syringe feeding mix is Oxbow Critical Care, and you should be able to get it from your vet if needed. In a pinch, your rabbits usual pellets soaked in warm water can be used, though you will need a syringe with a large opening so the fiber particles don't clog the tip.

if you can't get critical care you could syringe pineapple juice, canned pumpkin, baby food, foods high in fiber and moisture.

I was able to get critical care and have been feeding her that, she doesn't care much for her food right now though she ate some romaine lettuce that I annoyingly shoved in her face for 5 minutes lol:p

Latest posts

Back