Head tilt issues - not responding to meds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gm_thomson

Reaction score
My bunny has had balance issues (including occasionally falling over unable to get up) and a weepy eye for over 7 weeks now. The vet could see torticollis but no sign of any ear pus or anything to culture.

We did a month of panacur and put her on 48 hour bicillin injections (0.25ml). Then two weeks ago added in 1ml baytril twice a day (she is 1.2kg). She is already on 0.4ml metacam twice a day for her arthritis, she turns 12 next month. Also twice daily eye drops, two different kinds. The eye weep went away about a week ago finally.. Touch wood it won't come back.. It did before.

So it's been 7 weeks now of bicllin and 2 weeks of baytril and since last week her dizziness and falling over is getting worse and her head tilt is more pronounced. She seems less able to get up as well now.. Before she would only get stuck once every few weeks, now it's every day....At this point the vet is at a loss. He checked her teeth and they look good, she is eating well and no signs of pain.

Any ideas what to do now?

Wendy

Three of my rabbits have taken zithromax and none had stomach upset, but I have read some posts where some rabbits had bad reactions. One of them said they used a different brand I've never heard of before. So I wonder if that is why some rabbits react badly, maybe they were using another brand or generic. The brand of Zithromax I used was Pfizer for children and tasted like banana. So if you use it you might want to try to get the pfizer brand.

Have you tried anything for the dizziness. Meclizine won't cure the cause but will help treat the symptoms and at least make her more comfortable so that's something to ask your vet about.

Latest posts

Back