Rabbit fur changing color

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmeyers

Reaction score
My Holland Lop is 1.5 years (about) and is black. We brought him to live inside this spring. For the last month or so, he's been shedding his coat. I'd say he's at the peak of molting right now. My question is this: his black fur is turning white on his back. It's also shorter than the rest of this hair (I'm guessing it's new growth). But why the color change? Is this normal?

Here are some pics.

His undercoat is white and it's like he's molted a lot in this spot to the point his fur is white with tiny black tips. This area is much shorter than the rest of his fur, too. It looks like he was shaved a bit in this spot or something (he wasn't). He's not bothered by this, either, i.e. no itching, biting, etc.

After a few days of no responses here and observation at home, I'm less concerned about whatever is going on now. I'm just going to continue the "wait and see" game. He goes to the vet next month anyway.

fur1.jpg

fur2.jpg

Looks like normal hair regrowth. Black is rarely black all the way to the base. Many rabbits have a gray color close to the hair base. You could be seeing this first and the black will come with time. As long as there is no flaking or irritation I wouldn't worry

Latest posts

Back