Bunny Health Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishRabbitmama

Reaction score
So I went to sell my Polish yesterday and found out that he has Rabbit Syphillis. Can someone tell me the correct amount of Pen G needed to give him. I know where locally I can get it. Just need to know the CC. Also since he fought with my 14 wk Holland Lop I'm guessing I need to treat him as well. So far I've learned about Rabbit Syphillis and Sore Hocks from personal experience and this is less than a year. Goddess help me!

"Benzathine penicillin G, 42,000 IU/kg, SC, at weekly intervals for 3 wk, is necessary to eradicate treponematosis from a herd. All rabbits must be treated even if no lesions are present. Lesions usually heal within 10–14 days, and recovered rabbits can be bred without danger of transmitting the infection. A potential side effect of penicillin treatment is diarrhea and the possibility of an enteritis outbreak due to proliferation of gram-negative bacteria in the gut. Rabbits treated with penicillin should be switched to hay and treated with antidiarrheals immediately if needed."

This is taken from the Merck Veterinary Manual on vent disease/syphillis. If he was bred to your doe then you need to treat her too.

Can't give you a dose in CC's because you haven't provided the concentration of the drug you're using. Your best bet is to talk to your vet about a good preventative program for your herd.

So I got the penicillin g procaine and am giving it to the buck. I gave the doe to a friend before I knew she could have it so she will be treating her. The holland baby didn't come in contact with the polish buck so we're safe there but I will be keeping an eye on him. But don't want to treat him if he doesn't have it. And he wasn't near the polish. Right now we only have 2 rabbits. I was selling the buck till the lady showed me he had vent disease. He's my daughters rabbit. So I don't have much contact with him and he seemed normal and his lesions are just small at this point so it's not that far along thankfully. Will be keeping a closer eye now. He was a house rabbit so not outside to worry about that.

If you got just the procaine pen g and not the benzathine/procaine, then you will need to give daily injections for a shorter period of time. I believe it is 7-10 days, but I'm not sure exactly as I know more about using the benzathine/procaine.

Yeah it's like 10 days I was planning on 3 doses as that is what a friend told me locally that has rabbits.She had it a while back.And one of the websites told me 10 days also.

So is it just the pen g procaine that you got, or is it pen g procaine/benzathine? It will say right on the bottle which it is. The two are different and so have different dosing schedules, because one is long acting, the other isn't so needs to be given more frequently.

Ok. You are going to have to do a different dosing schedule then, as it is the benzathine penicillin that is the long acting pen that is 3 doses a week apart. Procaine is short acting and so needs to be given daily.

Here is the dosing info that I found for pen g procaine. Injections are given daily for 7 days.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

If you aren't in contact with a vet and there is any confusion with dosing, then you need to contact your vet to make sure you are dosing correctly.

My jersey wooly is shedding so much that she has bald spots is that normal?ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1406138523.377356.jpg

Zeus, if you want you can start a new thread for your question :)

Bald spots during a molt are normal, but it could also be that she's pulling her fur out to make a nest (for a genuine pregnancy or a 'false' pregnancy), or fur loss could be a symptom of something more serious, like a skin condition for example. Is her skin irritated, dry, flaky, etc.? Is the lost fur clumped together like she's making a nest?

Latest posts

Back