bun w/ a broken foot ( i think ) - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lokin4AReason

R.I.P Little man ....
Reaction score
hello all, sorry i have not been posted in awhile ( life's little mysteries ) keeping me busy a friend of mine parent(s) has a place, like a homestead and they are trying to live off of the grid. all kind(s) of animals ... and with knowing that i noticed rabbits in the back. and in getting close and seeing them hoping around. i noticed one a little different. investigated a little further, one had a looks to be a broke foot. it tore me up seeing it trying too survive in a cage w/ the rest of them. seeing it was a fighter crawling around, so i decide in saving the little one. so i told the owners, i will pay for the little one ( because the rest of them are healthy and i do not know their future. I fear to thread =/ ) so once i have the little one, i ll be posting photos and have an appointment w/ the Vet ( making it one a week ahead of time so it ll have medical treatment quickly ) my questions is, can they re break a foot ( so that it can heal properly ) or will they be ( cringing ) removing it ....?? and how can they cope w/ an injury and can they have a somewhat normal life .....?? i have not ever see a bun w/ a injury like this, and would like to know ( all options and possibilities ) from the member(s) insight and opinion on this situation ....

Rebreaking a healed fracture isn't usually a good option, but it also just depends on what the vet finds. It's hard to know what will be best until xrays are taken. Surgery is sometimes an option, as well as amputation, depending on the severity of the injury and how it is affecting the rabbit. But if amputation ends up being the best choice, just know that 3 legged buns can learn to get around just fine and still have wonderful lives. Most important thing is making sure you are taking the bun to a good rabbit vet with a lot of experience, so your bun gets the best care possible.

vets tend not to rebreak.
Depending on the injury may or may not be fixable.
rabbits can manage on three legs.

Are you sure the foot is broken or if there is something congenitally or just plain not right about the kit?

i ll be taking it to my primary care Vet ( the one that i send the one i have now ) and am very pleased w/ his know how and experience

from what i can tell w/ the foot, it looks to be a 45 degree angle and somewhat hanging.

i can be wrong ( which, i really do hope that i am )

:pray: Best thoughts going to the little one.

Echoing everyone else, even with the 'worst' outcome (amputation), a three-legged rabbit can lead a perfectly normal life. I'm sure he'll do fine, and he's lucky to have you looking out for him. :)

thank you everyone in replying to my thread ....

im setting of a few things off, in providing the best possible needs for "it" ( i call it for now of not knowing the sex )

i really dislike at when someone/ something is going thru pain or a hint of it

UPDATE:

being the smallest on out of the litter of 6 or 7. he is weak and very afraid at when i was driving him to the VET ( right i got him )

he is about 4 to 6 weeks old. they have him on him meds and emergency attention at the moment ....

the doc said not only the foot has to be removed but also part of the leg. some kind of infection happened cause of the break. and they will have surgery on the little one tomorrow ( as in friday ).

i will be going there today after work ( and will try everyday ) till after until the little man is at home ....

here is a photo ( and he is the one over the watering bowl )

UPDATE:

the VET clinic called and the news is not getting any better =(

they said that an infection is thru out the body and the other leg, the toe part may need to be removed ....

they also said he is attentive and still weak .... and they are afraid if they go into surgery that, likely he may not survive ( because of the infection in his body ...

i am going there after work ( as mentioned before ) and getting a bit more information

just wanted you all know the status of the situation ... thank you all and im just hoping the best for him ...

Let's pray he will pull through and get better! Keep thinking positive thoughts ok?! I have a rabbit with no toes on his left foot and he is fine..

Vanessa

:feelbetter: Hope he'll be able to make it through surgery. At least he's getting medical care now and is on pain medication. You've eased his suffering. That's the most important thing.

UPDATE:

when to the Vet yesterday and seen the little guy. i was just trying to hold myself together w/ he holding him. looked so relaxed and at ease ...

i have also added a few photo(s) to share w/ the fellow member(s)

i also had a chat w/ the doc. he was trying to push the issue/ agenda of putting him down because of the infection in the rear leg ( photo added: alot can not be seen due to the fur ) and they found another one in one of the front toes ( same side ). that it might have spread inter and they have o way in knowing.

also at when i was there. seen him moving around. the infected leg is like throwing him off. when that his other leg, he is using his foot and pushing it side ways. hoping, just hoping at when they removed the other leg, he will correct himself and straightening that foot out.

so after work today, i am taking a drive ( about 75 miles away ) to have little man get a CT scan. all they told me was that the office visit was 63 USD to start off with. i am just fearing to thread at what the CT Scan will be. i hope, i can get some blood work done also. i have some funds but limited. so i just hope that i have enough.

i am so new to this ( not going to lie ), but life is a challenge. to gain wisdom and knowledge in knowing.

the tank is full and looking forward w/ the journey ( and thinking positive )....

Image0.jpg

Image0(1).jpg

Image0(2).jpg

Image0(3).jpg

Image0(5).jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE:

just getting in. the trip was long and wet. raining on the way there and back ....

pick up little man at the Vet and off WE went. i had him in my lap the whole time and he didnt move a bit. good to see him being relaxed with the long trip in front of US ...

once there, i had some paperwork to be done and paid the deposit ( for blood work, and the CT scan ) ... then they took him up back. i am sitting there for about 20 mins. not to long after, a nurse came out and wanted to to talk to me. hoping that they done their part and he is doing good but they had some complications and little passed away at 12.30pm . it was a rough ride back having him there, in my lap knowing. that he will not feel any more pain and wishing that he wouldve made it through the day ....

its hard and sad but that short time today, i met the biggest heart in the world. wanting to fight .... please dont give up on them no matter what they say .... they have the right to live at no matter at how long they have ....

little man has blessed me and the people that he had brought into my life. their willingness to help him and sharing along w/ spending time w/ him at when i was not there ...

with the last few days he had ..... he was very attentive, eat well, and had all the loving that his heart would desire. from what the employees were telling me. im just hope that i have given him the best few days of his life and was at peace ...

sharing the last few images of him .... R.I.P and you will be missed, not only by me but a great deal of people that you have touched w/ your heart ..

DSCN3713.jpg

DSCN3714.jpg

DSCN3715.jpg

Image0.jpg

I'm so so sorry. He was such a beautiful baby! And there's nothing that could have been done better for him than you taking him, giving him medical care, and paying attention to him in his last days :(

I agree with Top Doll and you let him know that he was loved. That is what is most important and you did all for him that no one else would have ever done. Try not to feel bad, but feel happy that you made a difference in his little life, no matter what happened. You should be proud of yourself doing what the breeders would have never done and that was trying to save his life. I still feel like something happened that the clinic is not being honest about but unfortunately we can't go back and change things, I wish we could, I would bring my mother back and my baby I just lost 2 months ago, Baby Marta. I'll share her picture here with you..

Hang in there,
We are thinking about you
Vanessa

photo (1).jpg

photo.jpg

thank you for your support ... means alot

i had about 2 hrs of sleep last night .... my mind was just thinking of him ...

its hard ( to be honest ) and knowing that he didnt live life to the fullest and kept on thinking of what else could i have done ..

he had such a personality to him, something with him that just like touched me from with in. i mean the way he was calm at when you spent the time little time w/ him. like he put his worries aside and wanted the warmth of love ...

so i am trying my best

Latest posts

Back