Rescue rabbit with mats and discoloration of fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMomOf6

Reaction score
Just got this rabbit and I am wondering what I can do to clean his fur and get the mats out of his paws and butt ( I know no baths) . A little history this boy came from a lady that was moving and said she had to cut back on 100 of her rabbits. She said she would butcher after the fourth. I contacted her about him and she said he had urinated all over himself that's why he was dis colored. Well he has mats, yellow and under weight . My thought is that he was kept in a unsanitary cage and not fed well. As soon as I put him in my car in a cage he started eating hay. I have never seen a rabbit that comfortable to eat on a road trip. P. S she had him in a cage on the back of the truck bed. Any thoughts?ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404258535.029443.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404258569.021722.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404258607.360985.jpg

Not sure how to clean him or remove mats but just wanted to say he is a gorgeous boy and I hope he has a wonderful life with you

Since I'm sure you will be providing him with a clean cage, etc., the problems may go away as he cleans his fur himself. (I also wonder if it was other rabbits peeing on him as well). You could groom him with a pin brush or regular hair comb to help get the mats out. Trimming them out with a pair of blunt-end scissors is also a possibility if he will sit still for you.

Good for you for rescuing him. I hope you can fatten him up, he does look a little thin!

Last edited:
Thank you! I know I can fix the weight and loss in muscle with food and exercise but the cleaning thing i am not sure the easiest way to do it. I could just let him molt and brush a bunch just thought someone might know a easier way

Unless you can get your fingers between the mats and the skin to provide a protective buffer, do not attempt to use scissors, as on any species it is easy to accidentally cut the skin - and rabbits have some of the most delicate, easily shredded, pantyhose-thin skin there is. It may work better to hold the mat firmly at its base and tease it apart carefully with a slicker and comb if possible. If it isn't possible, you may need to find someone - a groomer or a vet depending on how skittish the bun is - to spot-shave the matted regions.

Glad you took the poor little guy in; I hope he is fat and happy soon :)

Shocking! Thank you for saving him. You can let his back fur molt out, but I would actually give him a shallow foot bath to wash away some bacteria and see if I could loosen some of the mats, as he won't be able to get rid of them himself. As long as very little soap is used and it's all rinsed away, and he's given a warm room to fully dry out, the occasional necessary bath is okay.

Poor little guy, he's so thin!!

You can wipe his fur down with unscented baby wipes to help remove the smell and some staining, however most of the staining is likely to remain until he goes through a shed. Encourage the hay eating, it's great. I would also introduce him to pellets (start with a very small amount if he's not used to them) as they'll help start to put some weight on him and give him lots of nutrients.

I would be cautious with the amount of greens you give him, as his stomach may not take to them well. Also, I want to check what type of lettuce it is in the picture. Iceberg lettuce should not be fed, dark leaf "fancy" varieties and romaine lettuce are best :)

It is the heart of Romain lettuce lightly colored. No iceberg lettuce fed in my house. I have been using baby wipes but it doesn't seem to be helping. Brushing seems to soften the hair though.

Such a lovely bunny, luv the blue eyes he's lucky to have you.
My guinea pig has long hair and I remove her mats when she gets them by brushing her out, it's really effective.

Thank you it is such a good feeling to know your helping something so help less. He wouldn't come out of his cage to play the first few days but has now came out and starting to be his own bunny. Very loving baby for being a breeder rabbit

I agree, he's gorgeous with those blue eyes. I'm really glad that he's starting to come out of his shell :)

work cornstarch into his coat. That will help with the discolouration and with the mats (making the fur more slippery so it comes apart easier). You can cut the mats out by merely putting a comb or something flat between his skin and the scissors. But overall, dust him well with cornstarch, get him into condition and THEN worry about mats third.

Just wanted to update everybunny! Diamond in the Rough is doing better with his weight and the white is starting to show through! Here is a change from last Sunday ( top) to this Sunday ( bottom) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404698423.378221.jpg

Wow, he looks so much better already! Congrats, it's so fantastic to see such wonderful improvement in such a short space of time. Amazing :)

Ok another question! His weight is better and the white is coming back in his fur but I am wondering how you would position your rabbit to get the mats under their front paws. He doesn't like being on is back and is really matted there.

Mats on the bottom of the paws? That's a new one to me, you could try wrapping him up in a bunny burrito (you tube for videos, it generally secures the bunny, but you're still able to get to their front paws). :)

Latest posts

Back