Shopping list

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys, It's me yet again. Just went to Petsmart! Got prices and a supply list let me know what you guys think and what I should keep, change or remove!
Here it goes!

Oxbow Adult Rabbit food 10 lbs $23.99
Oxbow Adult Rabbit food 5 lbs $14.99
Oxbow Natural Science $12.99 (whats the difference?)
Kaytee All natural Timothy Hay $4.95
Kaytee Shred-a-bowl $7.49
Oxbow Western Timothy Hay $5.99
Wesco Bird Kabob $6.99
JW Pet CO Hol-E Roller $9.99
All Things Living Colorful Palm Toy $9.99
This is where is gets tricky I don't know which one to do so I'm going to list all of them and tell me what you guys think.

All Things Living Small Animal Home $169.99
All Things Living $104.99.
North States Superyard XT Portable play yard from Walmart. $58.99
TopPaw Double Door Dog Crate ( 42"Lx28"Wx30"H) $119.99

Back to the other stuff

Oxbow Timothy Hay
Natural Geographic Lounging logs $7.99
Loofa
All Things Living Fun Tunnel 30X8 LG
Great Choice 12 Pc Small wood chew $2.99
All Things Living Scatterless litter Pan $14.99

Would they need dust for a dust bath?

Kaytee Veggie Basket treat $5.99
Carefresh Ultra $26.99
Carefresh litter Plus $8.99
Petmate Replendish Pet waterer $16.99
19" Kennel for vet visits.

Did I go overboard what can I change what can I do to make this better? Do you guys have any recommendations to get this stuff cheaper like websites? Or different brands. Tomorrow I am going to Petco so I am going to see if there is other stuff there and post an updates list.

Wow man, you really did a list! Well done for putting so much effort and time into getting it right before you bring your bunny home, your way more prepared than I was :goodjob.
I can't remember what type of bun your getting so a lot of the stuff you listed will depend on the size of the bun, Oh and also be wary of giving treats that have really bright dye in them, not good for any pet!
I will let more experienced people comment on the 'Do's & Don'ts of your list. I bet your getting excited now?
good luck and don't forget to budget for vaccinations and desexing if that what your going to do.

cheers shooni

Everything on the list sounds great! The only correction I can think to make is for the cages. If you have the space it may be beneficial to look into NIC condos, because they actually tend to be less expensive (depending on where you buy the NIC grids and how many you use) I know a lot of people on this forum have them, so it should be pretty easy to find pics and info. The walmart pen looks good though. And as for bunnys and dust baths, I'm not sure but I don't think dust is all that good for bunnys respiratory health, but maybe sand would work? Some people give their buns pans of dirt to lie in to keep cool. Good luck with your new bun!!!

Do you guys have any recommendations where I could get this stuff for cheaper online somewhere? I plan on building a NIC cube soon! but I would like to start out on the Play Pen

Try looking around at feed stores for hay. The petsmart/walmart hay is very little bang for your buck. If you have a tractor supply store, atwoods, or a steinhausers, you can get a good 15-20 pound bale that'll last you atleast a month for about 12 bucks. Also check around on craigslist. Alot of people get small animals, dont like them, then sell all the stuff. Cages atleast can be bleached and pressure washed. I had a really hard time finding NIC cubes in my area. Kmart of all places had them and they were cheaper than trying to order them online. And a word of advice KEEP THEM! We move all the time due to the Army. I had a whole bunch of extras sold them, moved, turned around and bought a whole bunch more. Or if you want a second bun down the road, bun sit, or go on vacation and want to build them a temp home.

Seems like you're also spending a lot in the toy/chew area. Buns get a sea grass mat that they chew on then have a bunch of cheap dollar store/goodwill toys. They have a dollar store slinky, baby toys like key rings they can throw. Dollar store balls with the bell in them. And I had a few old books I picked up at goodwill for free that they love to shred.

What would they have at an army store? And every pet store in going to price around!:) let me know if I'm going overboard LOL

Forgot about the litter. Wood stove pellets or another name for it horse stall bedding. They're pine but been kiln dried so the phenol isnt a danger. 40 pounds for 6 bucks. Last your one rabbit a really long time. Also found at TSC, atwoods, or any type of feed store. Figure out what your rabbit likes to play with first before you buy a bunch of toys. I have one that likes to chew, one that likes to toss things, and one that wont play with toys but will chew on cardboard boxes only. I went through a lot of things before I found what they liked.

UPDATE: I have a few items already bought, such as Timothy hay and a few toys (wood chews, tunnel, baby links, little tennis ball, and a slinky). Within the next week or so, I am going to get its x-pen, Oxbow pellets, a litter box, Carefresh, and food/water dishes. Is there anything else I should get before getting the bunny? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and quick question: how often should I feed it dark greens? I hear everything, from twice a day to once a week. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like your all prepared for your new bunny, Shida gets greens every night and oxbow pellets in the morning with unlimited hay. Good luck with your new bunny.

~Shida (and Shell)

Oh, and quick question: how often should I feed it dark greens? I hear everything, from twice a day to once a week. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance!

It depends on the rabbit, some rabbits can't handle daily greens. With any greens, you have to introduce them to the diet slowly and in small amounts one type at a time, slowly building up to larger amounts. Bandit gets greens pretty much every day, and many people feed a large salad every day. Rabbits can do fine without greens if they're eating plenty of hay and getting the needed nutrition from their pellets. I like to feed greens though, it's really up to you how often you feed them, and of course, depending on how your rabbit takes to them.

UPDATE: the x-pen is the only thing I need to get! :weee:

Here is the full list of supplies I have. If you think I need to get anything else before buying the rabbit, feel free to let me know!

-Timothy Hay
-Sweet Meadow young rabbit pellets (a local but top-of-the-line rabbit food)
-Food/water dish
-Toys (of all sorts)
-Grass mat
-Fleece blanket (for bottom)
-Litter box w/ Carefresh litter

Everything looks great! Is one of the toys a hideaway? Buns (esp newly brought home buns) do love to have somewhere to hide :nod

Latest posts

Back